Any News On That 5 Liter Cummins V8 Diesel For Dodge Ram?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Eightballsidepocket, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Eightballsidepocket

Eightballsidepocket Well-Known Member

It's been total silence for several months now, but last time I read anything, Cummins and Chrysler had re-opened talks/work on a future small V8 diesel for the 1500 Dodge Ram, and possibly as an option on the 2500-3500 Dodge Ram line.

Anyone here have any new info. on whats going on with this?

When Chrysler went through the bankruptcy, the whole project was put on "hold", but after the bankruptcy, I remember reading here on the forum via a Pickups.com article that Cummins and Chrysler were back together again on this small V8 diesel project.

This could be a great option for the 1/2 ton Dodge Ram line.

GM used to offer a diesel option for their 1/2 ton Chevy and GMC PU trucks many years back. I remember that it was initially the 350 CID V8 diesel but it didn't go over very good, as it had a lot of problems.

Never the less, I wouldn't expect the Cummins spawned V8 diesel to have those early GM diesel problems.
    I'm really looking forward to some positive news about this Cummins offering for Dodge.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I doubt it will ever happen really.

As far as the GM diesel, the 350 diesel was the original and it was a piece of junk, but also quickly replaced by the 6.2 diesel that was in a bunch of 1/2tons in the 80's. Good engine, just not very powerful.

3. Ne_utah

Ne_utah New Member

4. Duluth Diesel

Duluth Diesel Well-Known Member

I really hope it happens. It seems that every truck manufacturer is afraid to be the first to step out there with a light duty diesel option. I was hoping that Mahindra would pony up and bring their TR20 and TR40 diesel compact trucks here (they are supposedly still going to) to the U.S. Not that I'm necessarily going to buy a truck built in India, but it would spur the market a bit and force other manufacturers to compete and offer their own light duty diesel trucks. Someone has to make the first move; I was hoping it would be Mahindra. Then I was hoping GM, Dodge, and Ford would step up.

I was also equally frustrated with Subaru. They are great, tough, utilitarian little AWD cars. They offer a boxer turbo diesel in Europe and elsewhere, giving you a compact SUV/wagon with 9" ground clearance, AWD, and 40+ mpg. Subaru was going to offer the Forester diesel in the U.S. but backed out. RRRGH! But somehow Benz, BMW, and VW offer diesels here and do well. Look at VW. They import a limited number of TDI vehicles and they sell every dang one at full MSRP because there is a line a mile long out the door waiting for them. Why doesn't GM, Dodge, and Ford see that there is a healthy demand for diesels and step up!?!

Ok, off the soapbox now. rotfl

-Chuck