Are people in my generation stupid?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Nov 8, 2005.

1. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

I'll agree with you there RJF. It's not what you know. It's can you speak "THEIR" language. It's like the blind leading the blind!

2. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I'm 25 just graduated auto tech and working at quick lube number one reason now I'm making more money here than at Ford who offered me less money to start and the oil change company hired me when any local dealership wouldnt because of my class hours.
    I have men my age come in and ask me if they need to turn thier vehicle off while we change the oil,then I'm like what a fricking moron shouldnt even be driving because he has the cell phone crammed into his brain.No one knows what tire pressure is anymore they look at you like your speaking a new language,uuuuhh whats that?
    I swear what happened to my generation I'm not the best nor the brightest in math or english but no one has coimmon sense anymore.I thought we were getting smarting with evolution?I wont even start on some of the guys who came into my auto classrotfl one guy didnt know how to change his own oil.:eek: this is the look he walked around with all day long.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I think that just boils down to less and less people working on their vehicles anymore because of more complicated designs and people having busier schedules and feel they can't do maintance anymore, which has lead to so much automotive ignorance like you described.

4. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Well-Known Member

The local NAPA seems to have fairly good folks behind the counter, but that's just about it. One or two counterpersons at some other parts stores are at least helpful, if not too horribly knowledgable.

I used to have a favorite clerk at one store who would just let me use the computer and the reference stuff behind the counter to find what I wanted, which was especially helpful in the case of a mix-n-match project where one doesn't exactly know what they're dealing with. I wish they hadn't closed that place.

As a whole though the current generation seems to have a general lack of common sense. I'm ashamed to say I'm part of that generation. I like to think I have a little better common sense than many people this age. I probably don't but I do prefer to think that way. Seems like more and more people who aren't suitable for customer service/direct sales jobs are working such jobs, and making the customer miserable. Perhaps the problem is just nobody takes pride in what they do anymore, and feel they're getting less than they deserve and so forth.

5. rocknbronco

I think that the easy of the modern world has casued a brain freeze for my generation
    I dont think that the vehicles are as complicated today as some want to belive they just dont want to learn.Yes todays computers in vehicles are more complicated and control more but using some decent reasoning skills or some book work and you can over come it.

6. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

best one i heard was "i put 75 cents worth of air in each tire." it was a minivan tire with between 95-110 PSI in each tire.

7. rocknbronco

yep I like finding cars with tires going from one extreme to the other nice ride?I found a young with a explorer running like 12 pounds in each tire wondering why it might be pulling