BFG All Terrains

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by kartphan, Apr 7, 2009.

1. kartphan

kartphan New Member

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 2 wd towing a 9500 lb. toy hauler. I had the original Michelins but needed more traction for dirt and snow. I put a set of BFG All Terrains on because I have always had good luck with these on lighter trucks. Had them installed on Saturday drove from Sacramento to San Diego on Sunday (550 miles) WHITE KNUCKLING the whole way. Truck feels like the tires had 20 lbs. of air, very unstable. checked the air pressure rears were at 80 psi fronts at 70. I have a Reese dual cam hitch tightened up the bars. no change. Anyone running these tires with the same problem? What is a better tow/traction tire?
    Thanks, Rick the newby

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Interesting, I towed with BF's all the time (only 7000 pounds) and never had a problem, what size tires and wheels? Maybe take your truck back and have them check/rebalance them. Are they E rated?

3. kartphan

kartphan New Member

stock size 265/70-17" stock wheels, E rated BFG's

4. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Assuming they are E rated, I would just take it back to the place you got them installed and have them check balance and whatnot.

5. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I have towed with 315/70 on my dually very heavy loads and never had a problem. You could also check all your ball joints upfront.

6. 1dieselsteve

1dieselsteve Member

I'm running bf 265/70R17 and tow a 10,000 fifth and I don't have a problem either. Check to make sure that your weight in your trailer is equally distributed.

7. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

I've had them on my truck for over 100000 miles of my 150000. love them so much I just switched back. Tried some good years in between and they didn't have the traction I wanted. That's pulling 7000-15000 lbs at times. typically 10000lbs. Very steady under all loads.

8. bftank

bftank New Member

i had that problem with a powerstroke i had. 315/75-r16 on stock 7-8" rims. once i switched to 10 wide rims. not as big a problem. i don't think this is your problem though. perhaps you didn't have enough weight over the tongue which would take weight off the rear end and make it seem loosey goosey.:dunno:

by the by my trailer was a 20' pj carhauler. it prefers weight on the tongue

9. purplehavoc

purplehavoc New Member

I run BFG A/Ts on 2 of my trucks in a 285/75/16 and have yet to have a problem.
    Tow and plow all winter with both trucks and the tires are stable and lots of traction.

A buddys runs the same size on 4 of there superduty's that see 20,000 pounds of steel behind them every week with no problems.

I would also have the balance checked.
    Are you running a stock rim?