De-rate gvwr on a trailer?

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Zigphroid, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Zigphroid

Zigphroid New Member

I own this nice 36' gooseneck lowboy. Trouble is it's gvwr is 17500 combined with my truck gvwr of 8800 lbs that nets me 26300 combined.

Of course I was ignorant to these concerns when I purchased the trailer...

So does anybody know if it's possible to de-rate the gvwr of a trailer? Like can I put different axles under it? Or maybe I can shorten it up a foot or two and lose 300 lbs somewhere...

Anybody know how this works? The nice man from the DOT was not very helpfull.. "Well you got too big uh trailer son."

2. WD40

WD40 Active Member

You could put lower rated axles under it, and that would drop the ratings.
    Then it would be real easy to over load the trailer.
    Doug

3. hound

hound Member

I had a PJ dealer re-do the title/registration. He printed a new sticker for the trailer, changed it from 14,000 to 10,000 on a 25' gooseneck.

4. TRUCKON

TRUCKON Member

Dont put smaller axles under it, that wont do anything. call the company that made it, give them the vin and tell them what gvwr you need. they wont ever raise it, but will almost always lower it if you ask.

5. hound

hound Member

Yeah, I certainly kept the axles and just had it de-rated on paper.

(The decks and frames on the PJ trailers also looked the same from 10,000 to 30,000 GVWR. The brakes, wheels, tires and axles were just different.

At Fayette trailer where I purchased and had the paperwork done, it looked like they were doing some swapping work, perhaps they would put new axles on and re-rate upward. I will call and ask them. It was a great place with nice people and good inventory.

-matt