Diesel Secret Energy

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuels' started by 4054x4, Feb 17, 2006.

1. stormyrider

stormyrider Member

Around here the offroad has a red dye in it but is the same as regular diesel other then you didn't pay a road tax on it.
    The waste veggie oil from all I have read requires a separate fuel tank that is heated and needs to at temperature before you run it. You also need to switch back to regular diesel long enough to purge the system prior to shutdown or it will solidify in the fuel system and you won't restart on it. I also have been told it takes a different filter material then stock to prevent filter clogging.
    None of the stations in my area currently are selling any biodiesel, only way I can get it is to have a tank at home and go with bulk delivery.

2. Man on a Mission

Man on a Mission Member

The January issue of Diesel World has a lot of good articles on biodiesel, website called nearbio.com shows all stations that sell bio in the u.s.

3. wi_saint

wi_saint Member

Media:
    Wvo

It DOES work, but you have to filter it down to at a minimum of 5 microns.
    3 or 1 is better. No water and definitely NO fats left in the oil, or it will hurt the injection cycle.

I suggest that you install a 165* thermostat, rather than the 195* that I used. It will heat up much quicker, and be useable sooner on the road.

I worked with several local people in my area, one of them being Tom at www.Veggietanksplus.com, to install my hose-in-a-hose system.

All in All, I have about 200.00 to 250.00 into my set-up.

The only drawback that I have had is that my 6.9L injection pump went out shortly after I had my system set up. It was already weak, but I didn't know how far along it was, untill it was too late.

If you have any further questions or comments, drop me a note.

4. odie

odie Member

I'm on the Mercedes diesel forum a lot and the Bio diesel forums too. Most of those guys won't touch DSE. It's snake oil. Check out Mercedesshop.com forums. thousands of discussions on DSE bulls**t.

As for bio-diesel...my understanding as to why it's only recommended to run small % like B-5 or B-20 instead of 100% bio is due to the methanol used to produce biodiesel. it eats rubber....hoses, seals, orings, injection pump inards. You would have to have every rubber part changed to Vinton seals.

I avoid bio-diesel and run blends instead. But all my diesels are early 1980's vintage.