Do YOU wear your seatbelt?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Aug 5, 2005.

?

Do you wear your seatbelt?

1. Yes, I ALWAYS wear it...it's the LAW!

131 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. No, never wear mine.

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Just depends, when I remember.

25 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. chevytrucknut

chevytrucknut Well-Known Member

i never wear mine because its a bull sh*t law and they can give me a ticket ill rip that one up in their face just like the last one!!!!

2. Nitelord

Nitelord Well-Known Member

Media:
    Anytime the truck hits the dirt, road or otherwise the belt is on. Both my kids have booster seats with belts and the seats are tethered to the cab frame. I only had one unfortunate accident, I rearended a mini van that actually did pull out in front of me and then stopped. I had to replace an air bag on the passager side. Mine never went off. The seat belt was all I had. I never go out without it on. It's just habit now.

3. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    i wear my seatbelt for 3 reasons. first, it is just a habit that i dont even think about. second, it is the law and i cannot afford a ticket. third, it can save your life! do you think that auto manufacturers would waste their money if they didn't help the safety of the vehicle?

4. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

I'm with you, but...

It doesn't bother me that the Government gets in my business for the following reason. Statistically, it is much much safe to wear a seatbelt than not, fears of burning or drowning aside. I could care less if all you guys who don't wear seat belts don't wear them EXCEPT, I pay your medical bills when you get in a crash via my insurance rates. If the Government would pass a law saying insurance companies don't have to pay for medical costs to those not wearing seat belts who are injured in a crash, nor do local communities, then I really could care less... but, since they won't, it doesn't bother me that there are seat belt laws.

I've seen some horrendous crashes on the track and the driver's walk away as obviously they were wearing their belts. I personally can't imagine driving without my belts and as you mentioned, won't drive if my passengers won't buckle up.

One man's opinion...

5. crashguy

crashguy Well-Known Member

Media:
    I could post some great pics to convince people to wear their belt. How about a guys scalp that looks like a toupe (hair piece). Took 161 stitches to sew his scalp back on.:doah: Or the guy who hit a dump truck with a Dakota (t-bone type). He saw the impact coming, so he was hard on the brakes (4 wheel lock up). Problem is - at impact, his body moved forward - hard and fast and the foot on the brake pedal did not. His body tried to pass his lower leg. The brake pedal lever was stonger than his tibia, fibula, and ankle. His leg had a U shape at the bottom, his foot was pointed so he could see the bottom of his own shoe! OUCH!:popcorn: :eek: :doah:

In my field of work, we have a phrase, and a mascot. The phrase is "Our day begins when yours ends!":eek: and the mascot is a vulture.;) All kidding aside, no seatbelt for you = job security for me. I have enough work due to drunks and motorcyclists. Wear your belt.

6. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Good point, I agree... So, I'll amend to say that gov't should get out of our lives AND reassign personal and individual responsibility to all adults. waytogo

7. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Well-Known Member

If I'm just in a parking lot, etc I'll usually have it on. If I'm out on the road anyplace I always have it on and so do passengers. Last summer a friend's wife and her sister were driving a dune buggy about 45-50mph on a back road, when the quick disconnect racing style steering wheel decided to detatch itself causing the buggy to veer off into a large ditch and nearly roll over backwards after jumping most of the ditch. Thankfully *that* time they both had their 4 point harnesses on, and they walked away, midly sore and a little shaken up but otherwise fine. It still bothers me how bad that could've turned out without the seatbelts. Definitely not a good feeling when all you can do is watch and hope they put on the safety gear... Since you never know when a freak accident may happen (obviously, or you'd be able to prevent it or avoid the situation if you could know), it's a good idea to plan ahead and use the safety gear provided.

8. Torquer

Torquer Well-Known Member

Media:
    My daughter was rear-ended last week, sitting still at a stop light minding her own business...............kid hit her about 25 mph..............no skid marks, just was not paying attention. Without belts she would have taken a steering wheel in the chest and her friend would have gone face first into the windshield. Don't think I would have wanted to see the damage after that.

For every ONE incident you hear "trapped in a car because of the seat belt" there are likely thousands of "seat belt saved life and/or more severe injury". No question.

'Nuf said.

9. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Exactly!!! IMO someone is an Idiot for not wearing their seat belt. Anyone ever driven a bumper car with out the seatbelt on?? Now try doing that at 70mph instead of 3mph:doah:

10. RustyJC

RustyJC Well-Known Member

Always! Every time! The vehicle doesn't move until everyone is buckled up.

I wasn't always so adamant about it - at least until a wreck that put my head into the driver's side A-pillar and the passenger's head through the windshield. Neither of us were wearing our belts. Amazing how that will make a believer out of a person!! :eek:

Rusty

11. Suburbazine

Suburbazine Member

Media:
    Truck doesn't go into gear until every passeger is properly buckled. Simple as that. :doah:

12. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I always wear mine the truck wont roll without it being on for all my passengers.Some laws are hear for a good reason just like ones preventing the marrage of cousins nobody want one more Alabama.

13. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

Sometimes I forget if I'm by myself, but if friends or family are in the truck everybody buckles up!waytogo

14. txdieselsmoker

txdieselsmoker Member

I don't go anywhere without buckling up, even when I'm in a parking lot. I take a company sponsered defensive driving course each year as well. I'm sure some of you have been through the Smith System.

Ever since my headon crash back in high school, I knew the value of a seatbelt. waytogo

15. Strokincowboy

Strokincowboy Well-Known Member

I don't think it is right that we have to wear seatbelts. I always see fellers ridin motorsicles without a helmet. Now, who is in more danger?
    Oh ya I don't ever wear mine.

16. RDD

RDD Member

Media:
    For starters, I never wear a seat belt, the truth is just as many people are killed by seat belts as are saved, the media just does'nt let the info out as freely.
    Just becase it's the law does'nt mean it's right, it's just the state governments way of making money.
    read this article, very good info on seat belt laws.
    http://www.newswithviews.com/guest_opinion/guest27.htm

Rick

17. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    He has some valid points, but typical of anyone who "supports a cause" there is also significant misrepresentation of "facts" and data. You know what they say about data and statistics, right? The most glaring (that I noticed) is his (intentional?) misrepresentation/misinterpretation of the quote from "Traffic Safety Facts 1998". While I fully agree with many of his points about self-determination and infringement of rights as well as many of the risks, his article is no better than the opposing coverage that he is calling unfair and biased.

It is an unfortunate fact of our culture that we must be cynical and distrustful of ANY strong representation of “fact” in supporting some cause. The only hope we have of catching any glimpse of the truth is to look into MANY sources and try to distil the truth for ourselves. An even more unfortunate fact of our culture is that the vast majority of the population will inevitably prefer to take whatever their knee-jerk predisposition (or self serving desire) indicates and find some site or publication that supports that view. They then use that “support” to fortify their “position” and close their minds to other considerations. This happens with BOTH sides ANY of the modern polarized debates including safety regulations, environmental, religious, abortion, gun control, drug legalization/control (recreational and medicinal), IFS/SFA, I6/V8, ;) and so on…

18. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    well saidwaytogo

19. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    Wow, talk about necroposting. Ok here's 2 more cents. For the guy whos daughter was rear ended, physics 101....an object at rest stays at rest until acted on by an outside force, at that point for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If your daughter was rear ended the car she was in would move forward, causing her and her passenger to sink into the seat, not be thrown forward.

Next, I do not need the government telling me what I need to do to be safe. Many states (including PA) had a helmet law for motorcycles that was repealed. Do you not think your insurance would have to pay for their injuries.....actually motorcycles are far more deadly in a crash than a car, maybe they should be made illegal too?

If you like pics I can show you the pic of my '81 dodge onmi that was torn in half in an accident. Everything from the firewall forward was gone. Since that car has you more laying than sitting my legs were essentially in the engine compartment and would have been torn off had I not been thrown from the car. For every situation where a seatbelt saved a life (in someones opinion) there is probably a story of someone that was killed because of it (again in someones opinion).

It should be personal choice just like motorcycle helmets (I bet some of you so adamant about wearing seatbelts that ride bikes go without a helmet). As for insurance paying medical bills, if you T bone me and I'm not wearing my seatbelt the accident is still your fault and your insurance should pay for medical bills regardless of wether I was wearing a belt or not. I'm not on this earth to save you money when you screw up.

Now that being said I always wear my seatbelt out of habit because I can't afford the ticket, it's not a choice. I have been driving company trucks for 12 years now with a pristine safe driving record, not even so much as a parking ticket. If the law enforcers would do more about the jackasses that drive agressive and do not react to what other drivers do I think the accident numbers would fall dramatically. ANd for those that say they always wear their seatbelt except maybe in a parking lot, a parking lot is the absolute most dangerous place to drive...especially the big parking lots by wal-mart/sams club etc. I wish cops could sit there and fine all the turds that just drive across empty parking spaces and do not obey the STOP written on the ground.....but I digress.

20. RustyJC

RustyJC Well-Known Member

In my case, that's one bet you'd lose! :rolleyes:

Rusty