Do YOU wear your seatbelt?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Aug 5, 2005.

?

Do you wear your seatbelt?

1. Yes, I ALWAYS wear it...it's the LAW!

131 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. No, never wear mine.

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Just depends, when I remember.

25 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. biggator64

biggator64 Member

i always wear my seat belt while muddin, sometimes i wear it on while driving on the road,i lived through a accident that would have killed me if i was wearing it but instead i broke my back in 3 places, and i always wear my helmet while riding my bike.waytogo

2. brods

brods Well-Known Member

Media:
    Think about that physics 101 for a minute and then take it to the next step. The seat will act like a compressed spring. Rebound. And once a object is accelerated it has to stop somehow. I choose the seatbelts (and airbag) to do that.

I worked with a guy that didn't wear seatbelts. He hit a telephone pole. IIRC broke both wrists, an arm, got a head injury, but also did a lot of damage when he rebounded back onto the center ebrake handle, driving it into his lung and taking out a couple of ribs. Luckily he survived.

Ok fine, someone hits you so they are responsible. What if you crash on your own and because you didn’t have a seatbelt on you get badly hurt and your medical costs exceed your insurance coverage? So then who pays? If society has to pick up the burden of your medical care, then it has the right to dictate what you can or can’t do in order to receive that medical care.

BTW Somebody better hurry up and tell all the race car drivers how stupid they are for wearing belts since its clear they don't do any good!:doah:

3. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    rotfl rotfl rotfl

4. RDD

RDD Member

Media:
    There is no way you can compare the restraint system in a race car to the seat belts in a passenger auto.

A race care has an engineered safety cage around the driver, a capsule if you will, the custom molded seat and 6 point harness are designed to hold the driver in that engineered safety zone, the safest part of the car.

Passenger vehicles are not designed that way, and in certain instances like being T Boned or Rollovers the seat belt will actually hold you in the death zone, you have no safety capsule in your auto.

Ignorance like this is why we have these laws.

Rick D

5. brods

brods Well-Known Member

Media:
    True to a point, but the principle is the same. Cars do have engineered safe zones, just not as strong as race cars. Indeed few people would be willing to pay the extra thousands needed to make a car that much safer or be willing to strap on a harness either.

So your argument is that it is much better to bounce around like a rag doll inside the vehicle? To stop your forward momentum using your face against the windshield?

Ignorance is when someone decides to ignore the facts. I have yet to see any anti seat belt people post anything more than a few antidotal stories where the seat belt made the injuries suffered worst than not wearing one. Another issue is that seat belts can be worn incorrectly. Still, looking at all crashes, there is no doubt that sear belts do more good than harm, and my guess is seat belts are even more important for passengers, who don't have a steering wheel to help support them in a crash.

But hey, this is America, where your free to still believe the earth is flat if you want.waytogo

6. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    So your argument is that it is much better to bounce around like a rag doll inside the vehicle? To stop your forward momentum using your face against the windshield?

Ignorance is when someone decides to ignore the facts. I have yet to see any anti seat belt people post anything more than a few antidotal stories where the seat belt made the injuries suffered worst than not wearing one. [/quote]

Had I been wearing my seatbelt dec 9 1994 I would be dead right now, end of story, case closed. The only thing that saved my life was being thrown from my vehicle before the minivan that hit me ripped the entire front end off my car. I rolled clear while the front half of my car lay burning 50 feet in 1 direction and the back half lay in the weeds 50 feet in the other direction. That is not anecdotal, that is fact. I was there, experiencing the whole thing.

7. brods

brods Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ok we'll take that as fact. How many people have been thrown from their car and died where a seatbelt would have saved them? Lets have some data showing on average its more dangerous to wear a belt than not to. Even if it’s a wash that will be in your favor against the law. I doubt you can produce any.

Following your logic and making a wag at a number, say that 9 times out of 10 (this is probably a ridiculously low number) a seat belt does more good than harm. So one time out of ten it causes more harm and your reasoning is that because of that one time you should never wear a seatbelt and risk more severe injury the other nine times? Everything in life is a risk, you can choose to use facts and probabilities to minimize your risks or just ignore the facts and use blind emotion to dictate your choices. Sometimes you get lucky and come out ahead, but the odds are against you.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    Damn, I shoulda played the lottery that day :)

And actually this is a bit off topic from the OP. True, wearing a seatbelt may give you a better survival rate in the majority of accident scenerios. The question is, do you really want the government to tell you every thing you should and should not be doing? Do you want every choice taken away and put in the hands of a buerocrat that never rides in the front of a car anyway? I personally would rather have the choice.

And, where does this idea that if you are in an accident and your insurance does not cover all the bills that they just magically get paid? I hate to tell ya, but if insurance does not pay all the medical bills it falls on the patient. They will get bills, turned into for collection, and either pay or the money will be taken from them.

9. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I disagree with a lot of what GD said, but this post is RIGHT ON to my way of thinking.

Oh, and I lost a leg in an accident that would have made me a paraplegic, if not killed me, had I had been wearing my seat belt (young and stupid, now old and stupid). Illegally racing a Corvette (nice highly modified 72 L82 that should not have been taken off the track) and cracked up, legs crushed in the foot well which kept me in the car, but the area where my butt would have been didn’t exist any more. The door was flattened against the trans tunnel, which was itself pushed over. If I had not “floated” up and over the tunnel (more or less) I would have been completely crushed from the waist down. And if my legs had not been crushed in the foot well, I would have been thrown free to bounce around at over 100 mph. Spent 6 days in ICU in and out of surgery and coma, 1.5 months in traction, and about a year in a wheel chair, but it could have been worse.

But even so, now my vehicle never moves unless everyone is buckled up, and it has nothing to do with the law.

Oh, and one more thing. “Ignorance” is someone who does not know the facts. “Stupid” is the word for someone who knows the “facts” and chooses to ignore it...

10. brods

brods Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ok, I stand correctedwaytogo

As soon as people start accepting responsibility for their actions the government should repeal most laws. Unfortunately now-a-days you can pour hot coffee on your genitals and collect a payout. Leave your keys in the ignition and your toddler in the car unattended and if, tragically, the child gets killed after shifting it out of park, well now its not your fault, sue the car manufacturer and collect big! So what to do when morons act...well....like morons and will not accept the consequences of their own actions? The government has to treat them like the children they are.

Seriously, where to draw the line? Forcing people to buckle up crosses the line? So was mandating safer cars going too far as well? Should we all be driving around with the old metal dashboards and no safety glass? Are passive measures ok, but requiring people to act is not?

gravdigr No the bills don’t magically get paid, people declare bankruptcy and then society has to pick up the tab.

11. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Oh, and please don't misunderstand my response. I wasn't *calling* anyone stupid. I was only correcting the definition. The term "ignorance" is misused far too often as a derogatory roughly equivalent to "stupid", when in fact, it is a completely different concept. If someone has never seen fire or red hot steel before, they may think it pretty and try to touch it. Ouch! That is ignorance. But knowing about fire and red hot steel, then touching it anyway, that is "stupid". Ignorance is easily corrected in most cases, stupidity is often impossible to correct.

I am making no comment as to how that applies to this discussion, or if it applies at all. That determination is left as an exercise for the reader...

12. chapman

chapman Active Member

I don't wear mine at all, kinda gets repetative when your getting in and out. Plus living out here in a farming community they enforce it but us guys in 3/4 and 1 tons usually get left alone.

13. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I had a deputy stop me today looking for "three kids" and a white mustang looked to be an 05 from what I heard well once I got motioned to stop my wife is not wearing her seat belt and saying dont stop yet dont stop yet.I would have laughted if she got a ticket because she is always riding me about tickets and how to drive.rotfl

14. bigbaddiesel

bigbaddiesel Well-Known Member

Media:
    since my friend arron hope died in an accident and didnt have it on i kinda always wear it now just for that simple fact.. unless in working on the farm then i dont but we are only going 10mph with a hay wagon

15. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    i always wear mine i just grew up wearing it and to me its not an inconvienence to wear and if i were to get stuck i think the adreniline would help me to tear the thing off or something.

16. CB

CB Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am alive today beacuse of my seat belt!

17. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    Seat belts

To roll overs when I was young. Always wear it now.

18. Justice

Justice Well-Known Member

Media:
    ok it the truck 99% i wear it. if im just movin trailers here and there around the farm then no i dont, although the "put your seatbelt on dinger" gets annioying. wheelin, on simple trails no i dont no top no doors just freedom i guess. on the rocks i do. the bike lota time no helment if we are goin out to screw around then yes. on dirt bikes always.

I know ppl that have been saved by the belts and know ppl that have walked away cause they didnt have them on. one friend lived because he did not have his belt on and the cop still wrote him a ticket for no seat belt. i see it as when its your time its your time. 100mph on a bike or walkin down the street and a brick falling when its time your not gunna stop it.

19. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well i have my permit so everytime i drive, the first thing my mom says to me is, "put your seatbelt on" so im kinda forced to do it, but i would wear it anyway cause im kind of an aggresive driver.

20. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Alway wear mine, lost too many friends that weren't wearing theirs. burnout