Do YOU wear your seatbelt?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Aug 5, 2005.

?

Do you wear your seatbelt?

1. Yes, I ALWAYS wear it...it's the LAW!

131 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. No, never wear mine.

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Just depends, when I remember.

25 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

I took door #3 not enough choices, I work with the local fire dept. here and go out on a lot of auto wrecks so I see my share of both sides of the coin. That being said I can see the law for people under the age of 16 since they are not deemed by the state or gov. to be responsible yet that they should have to wear their seat belts (we must protect our children) but if they give you a licence to drive a 3k-16k missile moving at 65mph and trust you to not use it to play bumper cars then it should be your choice if you wear a belt or not the fine is just the only way that they can enforce what someone else believes is the right thing in your daily life. Just my $0.02 worth. :dunno:

2. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

I always wear my belt. When I had my 105mph boat, I installed velcro lap belts for my passengers and made them use them.

Red Cummins, sorry to hear about your cousin. :(

3. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

I throw it when I have to roll through a scale, other than that I find it very uncomfortable and never wear it.

4. jake

jake Well-Known Member

I always wear mine. IMO its just common sense.:dunno:

5. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

My truck gives a friendly reminder. A very annoying friendly reminder. I always where it though. In Miami cops love giving tickets.

6. Hawg Hunter

Hawg Hunter Active Member

Media:
    I always buckle. Yes, It's the law in PA. I'm also an EMT and Rescue Tech. Have been for 30+ years. Have seen my share of gore. I believe seat belts save lives. Now even more with air bags.
    One incident comes to mind. Freaky though.
    Fella driving down the road with his window down and arm sticking out the window when a semi side swipes him going the opposite direction. The semi hooks his arm and pulls him out through the side window. Looked like he was run through a cheese grater.
    With a seat belt on, he might have lost his arm, but also may have lived. We'll never know.
    What a mess.
    Could tell many what-ifs.

7. originalodie

originalodie Well-Known Member

ALWAYS wear it. been in a few wrecks that could have been much worse without it. driving a VW scirocco rearended a stopped minivan he was on the brakes when I hit him at 65mph, we only went another 15 ft. without it, I would have probably endedup in the seat next to him. As it was, I was just bumped and very bruised. I also always wear a motorcycle helmet when riding. Missed a turn once at about 70 mph(way too fast for that road)
    hit an embankment and airborn. landed head first, rocks went through two layers of carbon fiber, 3 layers of kevlar, 4 or 5 layers of fiberglass, and into the styrofoam inside. Still have both the helmet and bike as reminders when I get to feeling bulletproof (the speedo is stuck on 72mph).
    that being said, I don't think that the gov should tell me that I have to wear either one. It should be my choice.
    Also remember seeing a training video at the VFD I was at. Computer generated remake of an accident. 5 people in a car, 4 belted in. the one unbelted one survived, but he killed the others being tossed around.
    noone rides without being belted (in my truck? my choice, not yours)

8. Shiner

Shiner Active Member

seatbelts

I am a Safety Advisor for a large oil and gass exploration co. I know a number of people who have been killed in car accidents. Some were killed or badly injured becouse they couldn't get out of thier seat belts fast enough. I do nomally wear mine but I agree whole heartedly with Sparky. I unplugged the seatbelt wire under the seat so if I dont have it on the truck wont scream at me.

9. ram02

ram02 Active Member

Nope dont wear it not going to.When they put a 4 point in,like they do in aircraft,I'll gladly put one on.Until then,no way.

10. 05HDRAM

05HDRAM Member

Wearing a seatbelt saved my life, I always wear it.

11. trsixer

trsixer Member

Media:
    Wear mine all the time now. I have totaled five cars in the past the first one I did not have it on and ended up in the back seat. I drive a 2500 Gmc van as a electrical service Tech. I want to stay in the vehicle not as road kill.

12. Montana Mike

Montana Mike New Member

Reduced to a common criminal

I wear my seat belt not because I think that it will save my life, but because special interest group(s) and their self serving policies decided to take away one more of my freedoms and choices and make me a violator if I did not comply. I have been in two major head on collisions while not wearing seat belts and a few other collisions while not wearing seat belts. Needless to say the major collisions totaled the vehicles, but with the extensive damage suffered by the vehicles I was never injured nor required treatment at a medical facility. I trust my safety to an entity higher than a seat belt or law enforcement.

13. 05HDRAM

05HDRAM Member

Your the exception, not the rule. If we didn't have seatbelt laws, maybe we could thin out some of the stupid people.;)

14. truckie481

truckie481 Active Member

I always wear mine, not due to the seat belt law but due to the habit my parents gave me as a child and one I have passed on to my two sons, I don't even think about it.