Dodge, Ford or GM for your next "new" Tow Rig?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by CK5, Feb 17, 2005.

?

If you were to buy a New Tow Rig today, what would it be?

1. Dodge

319 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. Ford

121 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. GM

139 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    If Ford doesnt get a reliable diesel by the time i need a new truck, i will have no choice but to go to Dodge or Gm. ....but if Dodge dont come up with a true crew cab dually with an 8' bed...it will definitely be a GM. On second thought, it would be a toss up between dodge and gm. even if dodge does have a true crew cab dually with an 8' bed, i still wil consider the duramax because if you really think about it, the ONLY problems the GM's have been having are the injectors! And they arent even made my GM or Isuzu I never heard anybody complain about anything else onthe GM

2. chevytrucknut

chevytrucknut Well-Known Member

My next tow rig is gonna be a gm not sure about their manual setup tho, but i will get the duramax for sure id like a manual but i might just get the allison.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    can you add an other option?
    dont get me wrong i LOVE my 04.5 Ram 3500 BUT it isnt big enough. my next truck will be an FL4700 OR a F750. yeah... over kill is cool.:pimp:
    Grant

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    ditto. the couple times i have ridden in the back i was drunk (hence why i was ridding in back of MY truck...)

BUT i dont EVER want kids and the back seat will be getting removed soon anyway. need space for a few larger dogs once i get out of the Corps. and more tools and soem stereo equipment.

the mega cab is nice and i might be buying a dually bed off one of those for my short box....
    Grant

5. 05' CO King Ranch

05' CO King Ranch Well-Known Member

Media:
    1 Ton Hauler W/ Toys

I have to say That I would buy another Ford w/ the 6.0L Stroker. I owned a 981/2 dodge w/ the 24 valve cummins and was sooo disappointed It over heated all the time and all I hauled was a Elkhorn Hard side camper and pulled 2 atv's. Since then I have purchased 2 6.0L strokers an 03' and now an 05' and no problems what so ever. By the way I am close to max GVW if not over when haulen my Fifth Wheel with toys behind that. Still outpulling the competition!! I have a friend with an 04 Chevy With the DMax and Allison tranny, and his turbo burnt up. Also the only way that he can smoke me in a stand off was to add the Edge to his truck. Mine is stock. I don't want to step on anyones feet re. their personal choice for brands of trucks, but I thought I would share my story.

6. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Thats too bad, something was wrong with the truck I guess. That Dodge has probably one of the best cooling systems used.

I believe it, the 6.0 is a quick sucker and before 2006 models, was the fastest diesel on the market. Now it's the LBZ Dmax.

7. powerstrokin

powerstrokin Member

i would have to say a dodge or a powerstroke just because i dont like the look of the new chevys or gmc but i do like the allison and the dmax in them just not the truck

8. dcoronet383

dcoronet383 Member

I would go for a Dodge 3500 4x4 Dually, Cummins/Auto. We have an F550 but have had nothing but problems with the 6.0 in it. I drove my friends 2005 Chevy with the Duramax/Allison Auto and it was nice also. Heck of a tranny right there in my opinion.

9. grandbob

grandbob New Member

Does anyone know if the 06 3500 dodge mega cab trucks will take a 5th wheel hitch? Looks like fenders are close to front of bed. Can't get 8ft. bed

10. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    It's hard enough to run a 5er in a short bed, much less the Dodge "shorter than short" bed. I think that *if* it would be feasable, you would need to have one of those (what are they called? sliders?) to make it work at all.

11. Strokincowboy

Strokincowboy Well-Known Member

If i got the chance to order a new tow rig it would be dodge cummins 6 speed. Like everthing bout ford, but just cant beat the cummins engine.

12. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    I grew up a Ford guy.
    I love GM's interior.
    I buy a truck for whats under the hood, and I go for the best built/engineered diesel in my mind, and thats the Cummins. Until these 3rd gen trucks, dodge has been on the tail end of creature comforts and appeal, but now they are really doing a nice job. I must say that these last 2 Dodge I have had are the best trucks I have owned!
    Build me a Ford truck with a GM interior and a Cummins engine with an Allison 6 speed and I will need a towel!!
    Just my opinion.

13. chvyhs

chvyhs Well-Known Member

I guess I bought the right truck.waytogo

14. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a second generation dodge with the 5 or 6 speed. I'd prefer the 12v, but they arent easy to find. Sometimes I would start thinkin somethin like 'hey, this powerstroke looks like a good deal,might be a cool truck,' but I come back to reality pretty quick. rotfl :stir:

15. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

98' 12 valve with a 5 speed is very rare. we have a 98 12 valve with a 5 speed, the best year of the cummins in my opinion.

16. Heavyloader

Heavyloader New Member

Heavyloader

Got mine 3 weeks ago 06 3500 Duramax LBZ 6 speed Allisonwaytogo

17. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    we have had zero issues with our 06 6.0
    23k miles and no towing problems

however my next tow vehicle will be a volvo class8 or a pete
    and convert it to a Class A rig

18. SteveinAK

SteveinAK Active Member

Media:
    Dodge- Because I am sold on the CTD. If it was in a Ford or a Chevy, I'd probably switch brands. But, I do love all of the truck, not just the enine.

19. JNelson

JNelson Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well since ai just bought an '06 Dodge to replace my 04.5 Dodge, I guess Dodge.

Funny thing is i traded my truck in on Friday and I seen it's already been sold. somebody got a good used truck.

20. chapman

chapman Active Member

I guess my next one would be a Dodge just love that Cummins. Waiting on the day when you can build them like you want em. Chevy with a Cummins and a solid axle would be nice.