Dodge, Ford or GM for your next "new" Tow Rig?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by CK5, Feb 17, 2005.

?

If you were to buy a New Tow Rig today, what would it be?

1. Dodge

319 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. Ford

121 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. GM

139 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. littlemrsmopar

littlemrsmopar Active Member

DODGE, DODGE, DODGE, DODGE!!:pimp:

2. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

To be honestly right now its a toss up between Ford and Dodge the 7.3 and 5.9 Cummins

3. PolisHammer

PolisHammer Member

Dodge for me, unless Ford gets CAT or Cummins by the time I'm ready to buy again. :stir:

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I think Toyota will get Cat they seem to be in bed with each other on racing and the Tundras adds when towing, ect...

5. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    lmfao

6. 7.3L fordfan

7.3L fordfan Member

is it really true that ford is the least picked new truck to buy...the 6.0 killed them!!!!

7. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

Freightliner "baby eight" sleepercab with the Cummins.

8. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

And that rating comes with 4.88 gears. Can you say 5mpg? Better run straight vegoil if you're towing for a living.

9. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

Dodge the only one that has never left me stranded on the side of the road.

10. StrokerSixOhhh

StrokerSixOhhh New Member

I've owned a few trucks in my life, all brands, and I've had the best luck with Ford as far as the Domestics go. My Chevy was a pile, and my Dodge was a big steaming pile. My first truck as a teenager was a Ford, and I had good luck with it. It was reliable. Now, after owning trucks that are what I consider junk, and piles of crap manufactured in mexico, I bought another Ford. So far it's been good, but its brand new, so we'll see. It rides a lot better than my last truck (Dodge), gets better milage, is more comfortable and quieter inside, Looks better as far as the body style in my opinion, and cost less than my Dodge did five years ago! But I did get a good deal on this one.

11. DMax07

DMax07 Member

Only 2 downfalls of this truck is price and max trailer wt 16500lbs, this is pathetic.

12. StrokerSixOhhh

StrokerSixOhhh New Member

"pathetic"

:rolleyes: "Pathetic" You think? Well, not all of us are trying to pull the Tiantic from the bottom of the ocean. I plan to use this truck as my daily driver and quad hauler. It will do just fine for it's intended use. With a quad in the bed, and a trailer with three quads on it, it drives the same as if it were empty. I also forgot about the four adults in the cab, fuel cans, ice chests, and all the other gear. And by the way, it only cost me 31k and some change, BRAND NEW (2006 model) last month.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  13. DMax07

DMax07 Member

I know I show up here as a 1/2 ton hauler and so do you, after looking at your profile I see you have a 3/4ton and that is fine for what you are pulling. Mine is a 2006 Duramax 1 ton and compared to the Ford & Dodge 1 tons, mine is the lowest rated for trailer weight. I am 3000lbs less than the Ford and I'm not sure about the Dodge. I had an F350 2006 with the 6.0 p.o.s and I got rid of it before I had all the problems that my employer's 5 other 6.0 diesels had. The reason mine is pathetic is that I can only pull 3 cars and I have to watch the wieght with just that many. The other makes can pull 4 cars if they want. GMC really screwed us over when it came to towing. They give you one of the best trannys the world has ever known, an engine that runs forever then strap 16 inch 215/75 tires on it with a Dana 60 axle to keep the prices competitive.

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    ehh... try an AAM 11.5 inch "14 bolt" rear. want an extra couple LBS of payload and trailer weight, get a 2wd. also cuts down on parts to service and break, and up on MPG...

i belive dodge is the lowest number wise, but i have grossed 28k before. truck had no problems towing it at all...

15. DMax07

DMax07 Member

Aam?

What company does that stand for? Do they own Eaton or does Eaton own them? Reason I'm asking, GM website says its an Eaton locking or that it is available and I have that diff. on mine. Is the AAM the stock diff?

16. stc73

stc73 Member

7.3l

I have a 2000 Ford 7.3L Powerstoke and you couldnt give me all the money in the world to take it off my hands. Best, longest lasting motor there is!!!!

17. jake

jake Well-Known Member

Dodge all the way!!

I vote dodge 200%waytogo. I just bought the truck in my signature and love it. The new six speed auto has to make the new ones the best on the market imo.

I've driven a few chevys for the guy I used to work for and they're probably the nicest for creature comforts and the allison is definatly the smoothest thing I've ever driven. But this 3rd gen dodge is very nice on the inside and I love the way you sit on top of the truck versus sitting way down inside.:rolleyes: Also the mirrors are the best I've ever used.waytogo

18. reynoldscrk@yadtel.n

reynoldscrk@yadtel.n New Member

jUST BOUGHT MINE. An 07.5 dodge 6.7 with a six speed manual. Dually quad cab in white. B&W companion fifth wheel hitch. Pull a 37 ft. Jayco Designer. Pulled it to Penn. up Interstate 81 from N.C.. Ate up grades like they weren't there. Fuel milage not as good as the 04 5.9 replaced. It should get better with some miles. Had only 500 miles when we left:D

19. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

If I was towing heavy my new truck would be the Dodge 5500 with the 6 speed auto. For daily driving and light to medium towing it would be a 2500 Megacab 4X4.

20. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

My bro in law bought a 2001 F350 cc dually with 150,000 miles on it to tow his 9000lb trailer for his business building paint booths. A family friend who buys at auction all the time found it for him. Big white beast, straight body, not a dent on it except on the rear bumper near the hitch(what truck doesn't have those scars :rolleyes: ). Looks the same as mine except it's a Ford.

He loves it, he was using a Dodge 1500 EC and the trailer was killing it. Now his wife uses the Dodge for her daily driver.