Dying 12valve

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by silver12v, Jan 28, 2008.

1. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

hey guys, my 98' 12v is acting up. been doing it on & off or about 7-12 months.when i start the truck up after it sits all night, it'll idle fine for around 3-5 seconds and then will start to try and die. It'll sputter and spit and sometimes it will die, but sometimes it'll clear up and be fine.once its fine in won't happen again all day.When it does die i have to crank it for a few secs to get it started but it'll start and run perfect. it doesn't do it all the time just now and then.i was told it could be the lift pump, or a hole in a fuel line.i think but i'm not sure, it seems to happen when fuel is below 1/4 tank.Any suggestions?

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I'd be cautious of the fuel guage, you might be actually on empty and not at 1/4 tank.

3. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

it could be. i have'nt thought of that.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You are getting drain back caused by either a bad check valve ( I am not sure if these trucks have check valves or not), you are getting air in the lines somewhere, or possibly a pump going bad.

I've seen it happen on different equipment before. You've got to figure out why you are losing fuel prime.

5. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

i'm not sure, but is an overflow valve the same as what your talking about?

6. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    First - fuel filter? Changed it?

Next, mileage? how about fuel quality? might bejunk in the tank clogging the pickup.

Next, injection lines. Check them to insure they are tight.

Check thelines from thetank to the injectors. You need to look for small amounts of fuel indicating a small leak.

Finally, check fuel pressure. Its rare, but maybe you have lift pump going south.

Oh, yeah, sending units can be common. I know of a few customers that read over 1/4 tank and run out. . . .

7. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

i'll check it all out. thanks guys!

8. DieselDood

DieselDood Well-Known Member

You have a fuel drain back issue on the suction side of the lift pump. It is probably the fuel supply and return lines. They are rubber lines (make sure you use Diesel rated hose) that go from the frame rail to the metal lines at the engine. What happens is the fuel lines will have small cracks on the inside layer of the liner. When they crack they don't leak fuel but they will leak air. When they leak air you get what your discribing.

The other possibility is the fuel heater is leaking air at the electircal connector. Just bypass the fuel heater. I live in MN where we see temperatures in the -20 and colder range. I don't have one, and I know lots of trucks that don't around here.

I don't remember the sizes at the moment. I believe the big line is 3/8th's. Again, make sure it's Diesel rated hose.

9. strokercummins

strokercummins Member

Good afternoon

I just finished writing a 3 1/2 page article on the Cummins fuel system and lift pump. This valuable information is based on hundreds of tests and 14 months of work. This article is number one in a six part series. I thought this would be of interest to the forum. Feel free to post the link, publish it, or share with your diesel friends. I want to get this information into the hands of 4 x 4 users, diesel performance enthusiasts and truck owners.

Best regards,

Rob Parelli Sr
    Tork Teknology

This is the link to article number one http://torkteknology.com/news.php?newsid=5