Electric over hydraulic brakes

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by jake, Jul 7, 2008.

1. jake

jake Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying an other trailer, and am considering the option of electric over hydraulic brakes. I am looking at a Mortiz 20 + 5 with two 7K axles. I am also considering upgrading to two 8K axles. The option for the hydraulic brakes is about $1100.

So far no sales people have been able to give me any concrete information as far as if they brake harder than conventional brakes and how ling do they last.

Has anyone ever used a trailer with these brakes? and are they worth the extra money?:cool:

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I haven't used hydraulic brakes. But plenty of my trailers have electric brakes and I wouldn't spend the extra $1100. JMHO

3. jake

jake Well-Known Member

Any one else? So far I have not been able to talk to any one that has used them. It is always "Yeah, I know a guy that has those and he sure wouldn't go back to electric brakes." Or " I've heard those are a lot better." :cool: :confused:

For the miles I drive, electric brakes need a lot of adjusting, and even then it seems I always end driveing most of the time with a wheel that wants to drag and ruin my tire.:eek: It would be nice to have a system that works as good as the truck brakes and does not need as much adjustment.waytogo

4. tosch88

tosch88 Active Member

Depends on how much you use the trailer. I just bought a new 48' with electric over hyd. with disc brakes. Its a huge improvement when pulling heavy loads. I have two other trailers with just electric brakes and on a long down hill grade the brakes will fade a little. I hotshot for a living and I have been very pleased with the new braking system. Is it worth it, I myself will never buy a trailer without hyd. brake system again.