Fate of the Cummins

Discussion in 'Concepts | Press Photos | Rumors' started by liv24wheel, Jun 3, 2005.

1. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Member

Media:
    I have head that Dodge may be losing the Cummins to Ford. Do these statements have any validity?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    No, not that I've heard. Infact, I thought I read or heard somewhere that Daimler and Cummins just "sealed" the deal for another few years.

3. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    From what I understand, DC has a contract with Cummins through the 07 model year, after that there is "Speculation" that DC "may" use their own Mercadies(sp?) or Detroit diesel, but I don't think anyone really know for sure.
    Also, they may have extended that contract as well and we just haven't heard anything about it yet.

4. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne Active Member

Media:
    i think letting Cummins go would be the biggest mistake they could make.That engine saved D/C when nothing else could.

5. CK5

Media:
    I agree, but Manufacturers do stupid stuff all the time, Example: Pontiac Aztec rotfl

6. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Speaking of the Cummins engine.....I just pickup up my truck from the dealership and the manager told me a Crate 5.9 ISB is around 12-13K. :eek: I would imagine getting it through Cummins directly would be cheaper than through Dodge, heck the new C7 Cat is only 10K in a crate.

7. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Thats about what Cummins wanted to put a new motor in a friends F-700. IIRC they wanted about $13.5K installed for the whole job.

8. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

OOOH! I hope DC does SOMETHING stupid and lets Cummins free. :poke:

9. 66cummins

66cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :stir: :stir: rotfl

10. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

If DC lets cummins go, I hate to say it, but Id hope Ford would pick it up. If they did, my next truck, in about 10 years would be a ford with a CTD... .. I manage a budget car and truck rental place, and we have 24' moving trucks that are Fords with Cummins 24 valve motors in them, and they are by far the most bulletproof trucks in the fleet, even better than the internationals and frieghtliners.
    Scott

11. k5nutt

k5nutt Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I spent the last ten years working for freightliner...a D/C company and they are really pushing the use of their own engines (mercedes 906). And the last couple of years the cummins camp and the freightliner camp have done nothing but bicker and squabble after freightliner bought out detroit deisel.

Eventually the 906 and 4000 will have detroit designations....as of right now at the dealership level we access all our mercedes manuals online via the detroit web site...and we are seeing more and more 906 engines in all our product lines...(sterling,western star,freightliner,american la france...). And we here to buy a cat or a cummins they charge a premium to do it...

After all these years i prefer the ISB (5.9L Cummins)...its easy as pie to work on...except those damn fed ex vans...and with the new common rail design i hope to see less pump failures as rapid serve doesn't give but 2.3 hours to r an r one...

But since i'll actually be able to afford a new pick up...my dream combo would be the ISB with an allison...a proven solid combo that is still ava in the commercial market.

The dodge interior is lacking and i think the gmc has the most ava options and a sweet interior...but i'll have plenty of time to read posts on this site with my new job so i can get steered in the right direction....sure would be nice to show up to BB05 with a tow rig for the K5....lol.

DW

12. DaywalkerNightstalker

DaywalkerNightstalker Member

Media:
    Albums:
    DC has a contract with Cummins through 2010 so don't frett for a few more years :doah:

The rumor mill for 2007 is that Cummins is going to bump up to the 6.7L (still inline 6) that is currently used in AG. Also supposedly unveiling a medium duty. I was skeptical a few months ago but it seems this is comming together waytogo

13. CK5

Media:
    So what's the scoop on the 6.7L as far as HP and TQ goes, will it be about the same as the 5.9, just needed more displacement do to 2007 emmissions?

14. cowboy69911

cowboy69911 New Member

i heared that fords not going to use cummins and they are comming out with the 6.4L twin turbo power stroke and they will replace that with a CAT motor which will make a grate combo if you ask me.

15. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

Iv contacted cummins and they say they are very pleased with there business and are planning on continuing there relationship far into the future. Also Ford sold there 10% of cummins back in 1997.

16. 66cummins

66cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just had this battle with a know it all cummins mechanic.He said ford owns cummins and ford will be going to cummins in 07.I told him he needed to lay off the crack pipe..:stir:

17. DWitcher

What? You mean Ford dose'nt actually owns Cummins?:confused: I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've herd that one. Yeah Ford owns Cummins but yet they still use that POS Navistar:rolleyes: Yeah right!

18. DWitcher

Fate of the Cummins. I'll tell you the fate of Cummins as far as the 5.9 is concerned. It will be sought after as one of the best engine for the light duty world and ending up as an engine swap icon with the rest of the us unsatisfied with what the auto industry has to offer/ extreme hobbist.

19. 454suburban

454suburban Member

burnout i was watching CNBC earlier (wasnt paying attention )
    i think they said D/C will most likely will lose contract with cummins.
    but look @ auto producers and diesel makers
    D/C = cummins
    GM = Duramax
    ford = powerstroke
    if you think about the trend over time,
    it makes you think

20. CoastalDav

CoastalDav Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Go to FordCummins.Com for a good price.

Dave