Ford Diesel folks report in!

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by Shaggy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    If the Ford diesel owners could just make a quick introduction of themselves when they join up, that would be great. What's your name, what do you drive and what are you haulin? :D

I'm Evan, I have the truck in my sig currently on order, it is intended to haul the other truck in my sig.waytogo I'm new to Fords and diesel pickups, I've had a mini-diesel for a few years now, an '03 Jetta TDI that I bought new in Dec '03 and currently have 61k miles on (200 mile daily commute).

Also, if you don't mind my asking, how did you find www.towrig.com?

2. XSSIV

XSSIV New Member

Hey, my name is Anthony. I currently on the market for a a Ford Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab SRW Lariat. I'm debating of waiting a few months and ordering the 06 model year.

Shaggy, what is the 6 speed configured like on the Fords? Is it a long stick coming up from the floorboards, or is there a console?

Thanks

3. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    The 6 speed comes out of the floor on a big long stick. A short shift kit is available though, which I plan on getting since it supposedly makes the throw significantly easier to manage.

4. XSSIV

XSSIV New Member

Thanks Evan. OK, I've decided I'm going to order an F250 4x4 CC SRW PSD Lariat for the 2006 model year. They open up the orders in a few weeks. waytogo

A little more about me. My family has had several diesel cars, European, but this is my first diesel truck. I'll initially tow a 96 Impala SS and trailer that I show and race, and, eventually future project cars. Perhaps a boat too in the future. Other uses will be taking my family camping and travel throughout the western US with off-road.

This new diesel technology is really facinating. Engine technology and building is a serious hobby of mine I and I look forward to building some more power into the PSD.
    I saw a 2000 PSD yesterday with the regular stick. It was nice. Impossible to find on the dealer lots around here however.

Evan, where did you learn of the short-throw shifting linkage? Any pictures on the Internet? Vendor? Why did you choose the stick?

Anthony

5. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    Here's the manufacturer's page for the short shifter, it's made by BD Power - http://www.dieselperformance.com/ford/product.php?pn=BD%20Short%20Shift&tt=ford

I chose the 6 speed because I have no plans to drag race the thing, and that's pretty much all the auto does better; the auto is merely more convenient other than that. I prefer the long term reliablity of the manual, and I prefer to choose my own gear when I'm towing. I figure that my arms and legs all work so I might as well use them.:D I also got the manual transfer case for the same reason, I prefer the long term reliability and can live without the "conveneince" of not having to lock hubs. At least I know that the 4wd will be there when I need it.

6. RamJetGMC

RamJetGMC Active Member

hi i have a ford X with the 7.3 and love it i have dun a few things ( see sig)

7. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Another 6spd user here. Every Ford my family owns in a manual trans, and we have never had any problems. My old man just ordered an 05 F250 V10 with a 6spd to add to the collection. My truck is in the sig.

8. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Why did you order a gas motor?:popcorn:

9. seandrisc

seandrisc Member

tow rig

I have a 97 7.3 auto ad love it got 153,000 on it and haul various trailers with it

10. 1_ton_k5

1_ton_k5 New Member

Well, I finally ventrued over from CK5, Most of you know me as Okiemuddog.

I am running a '00 F-250 7.3 and a 6-speed, I am hauling my K5 and a 20' low-boy gooseneck if I ever get it finished:doah: .

11. FordCummins1

Media:
    For two reasons. The truck in my sig should be able to tow more than enough, especially once the Twin turbo'd Cummins is in. Second, my old man's big hobby is british sports cars and motorcycles. Nothing heavy duty about those loads. So why didnt he get an F150? Cause they dont offer stick anymore in them. He is a diehard manual transmission fan, so he went with an F250, which is actually cheaper than a comparably equipped F150 anyway. And besides 370hp and 460lb ft of tq should do the job plenty fine. Hell thats way more HP and torque then all the diesels were puttin out 7 or 8 years ago. Oh, and it saved 5k off the price of the sticker. All in all, the main reason is that I already have a truck that is made for towing, DRW turbo diesel. Thats why.

12. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess. Regardless of power numbers and the sticker price you are giving up the driveabilty of the diesel, mileage.....half the fun of an HD pickup is the diesel powerplant. waytogo

13. FordCummins1

Media:
    Driveability of the diesel? Explain please.:popcorn:

14. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    Fun? A towrig is supposed to get you to the fun.:D

Please, don't hijack this thread, create a new one...

15. BurbLover

BurbLover Well-Known Member

Media:
    My name is Mark & I'm an alco.....ooops, wrong forum:D

Anyway, I just bought a 96 F350 4x4 XLT on 22 Mar 05. Pretty excited. Has every option from that year except the CD player. No biggie. I put in a CD Player/CD Changer Controller & a CD Changer today. The way the pictures are is the way I got it. 183K, witha rebuilt tranny at 179K. I figure it'll last me a whilewaytogo

Now, for me. Currenlty going through a D-I-V-O-R-C-E. My wife & I are still GREAT friends, just, due to circumstances, can't live together. Maybe someday things will work out. I pick up a 8' slide in camper this Sat & plan to do a lot of camping this summer. If I can get a decent trailer, I can even tow my K5 into the woods.

16. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    I saw pics on the other site, looks like your truck was babied by the first owner.waytogo

17. BurbLover

BurbLover Well-Known Member

Media:
    \

Yeah, the guy took great care. Regular oil changes, servicing, the works. I think I got pretty lucky with it. Figuring I'll put less tha 5K on it a year and the fact it has a new rebuilt tranny, I figure it'll last me a long time:)

18. INTERCEPTOR

INTERCEPTOR Active Member

Agine sweet looking truck Mark.
    So whats the nick name of the F350 going to be Candy Cane? rotfl

19. Resqpink

Resqpink Member

Media:
    I've got a 7.5 L '93 F-350 4x4, 8.1L Suburban 2500 4x4, F-250 6.0 L 4X4.
    Tow 7000lb 3-6 times/yr 800 mi interstate
    deployed 4-6 mos/yr, so when I come home expect reliability
    Expect to own all my veh at least 6 yrs
    have owned Dodges before, never will again, no matter how good the engine!

20. Mouse

Mouse New Member

I just picked up a 2000 F350 4x4 PSD auto to tow my K5 last week. I'm new to diesels, but love the power! I'll be posting plenty of questions to make sure I treat it right!