Ford or ram?

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by Kcress, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Kcress

Kcress New Member

So I'm new to diesels and am planning to start a hotshot service but I've been warned not to get a power stroke but would appreciate some advice from people who know more.
    I'm in the low 20,000 market and have had some leads on 04-07 f350 and dodge 3500....I'd be using as work vehicle with a gooseneck and 30' flat deck so can anyone suggest which trucks more suited for the task?
    Thanks a lot your replies are a huge help!

2. WD40

WD40 Active Member

Ford or Ram

For comfort and looks, I would buy the Ford hands down and it would be a 06 or 07 F-350 auto. There is no way I would buy a 6.4 Ford, 08 or 10 for Hot Shot work.
    The only reason I would buy a Dodge, is they do get a little bit better MPG's when pulling a load,

Doug

3. Canrvhauler

Canrvhauler New Member

Here's my experience.......I'm a commercial rv transporter and ran both an 07 F-350 and an 07 Ram 3500 mega cab. Both 4x4's. I put on 5000 to 5500 kilometers per week.
    The 6.0 Ford got better fuel mileage and was maybe a bit stronger (both completely stock, no mods.) The Ford also had nice touches like the factory trailer brake controller and better, bigger rear view mirrors.

But it was horribly unreliable once it went past 160,000 km's. Axle and pinion seals failed constantly, then all the typical 6.0 Powerstroke problems. EGR valve failures, head gasket failures, HPOP failures and injectors. Had it rebuilt at Ford dealer, did the head studs, egr delete, STC fitting update.....and failed again.

The Ram/Dodge.....had to replace tie rod and other small front end parts every 50,000 miles. Every time it would start wearing tires, you knew it was coming. Other than that, just kept going and going.

The way I look at it....cheaper to rebuild front suspension and steering components, than to have to rebuild Powerstrokes every couple months.

4. Solitaire57

Solitaire57 Member

Ford of course! I've had my 2012 Ford F150 XLT for years and I have complaints.