Fuel Mileage from 05' Powerstroke??

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by 05' CO King Ranch, Jan 5, 2006.

1. hanna1616

hanna1616 Member

Media:
    Mileage on my 2006 6.0 Diesel

Hey guys---I have about 16k miles on the trucl right now and have clocked the mileage 4 times since getting it. It is a completely stock motor with 22" rims and a tab bit bigger tires than normal--nothing crazy though! I got between 12.5-13 mpg..that's it!! That was NT hauling anything at all...I am scared to see what it drops to if I get that 12,000 lb 5th wheel we are looking at!!! Any suggestions on how to get better mileage WITHOUT voiding a warranty? Chad

2. 05kingranch

05kingranch Member

Well your computer could be off i also have a 05 with 3.73 gears and get 18 on the freeway at 70

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I've got a guy coming to work for us that owns an '02 7.3. He claims the best he ever got on the highway empty was 13. something...:doah: He's had it serviced twice trying to find any dirty filters too.

4. muddog06

muddog06 Member

Computer reads one thing, but figure actual miles driven and gallons filled up, mine AIN'T close. Have in the shop right now to re-calibrate speed-o for 35" tires.

5. rjt43

rjt43 Member

Jesus, what are you guys doing to get these 18 - 20 mileage numbers? I have an 05 F250 auto/4x4/3.73's, and I get 14-15 unloaded under all conditions. City, highway, doesn't matter. I drive like an old man around town, and I can't remember the last time I exceeded 70mph on the highway.

I really like the truck and I have had no mechanical problems, but the mileage is absolutely not acceptable for an unloaded, unmodified diesel. I've had both 93 and 01 Fords that got between 18 and 22mpg unloaded, so this is a pretty significant drop in mileage. It irritates me to no end.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  6. muddog06

muddog06 Member

rjt43, don't look for mileage from 6.0 4X4's! If you like to look @ 18-19 mpg look @ your computer read-out, but don't forget to pull into your friendly diesel supplier! 15-16 mpg is tops, loaded, unloaded, 55-60-65-70 mph it don't make a ***p! I bet you haven't filled up that truck with out checking the actual mileage to see if magically it did something different overnight to get better mileage! it won't, just drive the thing, Ford won't help ypou get mileage.

7. rjt43

rjt43 Member

Yeah, I gave up on the mileage issue long ago, and I never expected Ford to do anything. I'm just a little annoyed and venting.

I think part of the problem is the obvious design flaws of the 6.0L engine, and I think part of it is the automatic transmission - my other Fords were both 4x4's, but they were manual transmissions. Ah well, I had the itch to buy a new truck and I didn't do as much research as I should have. Suppose this is what I get.