Get at the Air Filter on Ram Van 1500?

Discussion in 'Dodge Gas Engine Rigs' started by keath, Jul 18, 2006.

1. keath

keath Member

I don't know if anyone else has one; sometimes I feel very alone with my 1500 Van... For the most part it has the same guts as the 1500 Ram Truck, but I think the big difference is that the cab sits farther up; the hood is only about 12" long. Thus, the vast majority of parts are deep in under the dash.

I'm trying to get my ass a little more self sufficient and am at the same time in dire need of some clean air filters. However, the air filter is one of those things that's deep under the dash. I can see it, and I can reach it, but it's too far in to do anything with it. So my question to you all is . . . what needs to come out to get at the air filter? And is it something an automotive newbie should be attempting?

If nobody has a like vehicle, I'd be happy to post photos if they'd be helpful.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can!

2. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Just pull the Dog House and your filter housing should come off fairly easily you might need some tools screw driver and sockets with ratchet but its not hard at all so even with little experince you can get er done just a minor pain compaired to the trucks.

3. '05 2500HD

'05 2500HD Well-Known Member

There are two buckles where the dog house meets the firewall, and 4 13mm or 1/2" bolts around where the vinyl flooring meets the doghouse. Pull off the doghouse and you will have amazing acess to the engine.

4. keath

keath Member

Thank you both very much. Boy does that van sound happier now. We've owned the vehicle for just over a year and this is the first time we changed it :doah:... it also seems like we may be the first and only owners to have changed it. :eek:

A week ago I had no idea what a doghouse was - or at least not as it pertained to vans. Thanks again for your help!!

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

your more than welcome dog houses are by far a reason I like trucks over vans I always find em to be a hassle