GM owners, speak up!

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LLY)' started by PermanentMarker, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Is your truck a 6-lug 2500 or an 8-lug?? :popcorn:

2. chevytrucknut

chevytrucknut Well-Known Member

3. Loader

Loader Active Member

Media:

I'm responding to my own post so you don't have to look for it. I'm going to tell you about the fix that all LLY owners should pay attention to!

After almost a year, my truck is fixed. The dealer where I purchased it did little for me, but the folks at the dealer where I moved to went through it with determiniation.

What they found is a small problem but one that is known by GM about the LLY trucks. There are points in the wiring harness that can rub through and short out the Fuel Injector Control Module. According to GM, they have about 12 LLY trucks with this trouble documented. They even have the known points in the harness documented so your service department will know where to look!

If you have any stumble or what feels like a miss that only happens once in awhile, you may have this trouble. My truck didn't show error codes and when driven with a scanner hooked up, the service manager said that according to the computer everything was working perfectly, but he could feel the malfunction.

I've been monitoring my fuel milage since the trouble started back in November. Best I could do was high 17's. Since the fix, I've posted 18.6 and 19.2 mpg during my daily driving.

The truck is back and with the software upgrades (there have been two software upgrades for the 2004.5 LLY since production) it feels stronger than ever.

There are a couple of other things you should all know about.
    1. The intermediate steering shaft is prone to slack. A redesign came out about 9 months ago, so if your truck is older than that you may want to pay attention. It can't and won't fail, but if it feels like there is slack in the steering (like the tie rods are shot or the steering column is loose) chances are it's this shaft. Have it replaced before the warranty expires! (I had 380 miles left on warranty!)
    2. My truck had to get a new exhaust because it cracked at the bend just before the muffler. I don't off road it or do anything out of the ordinary, so there is no reason for this failure. Just check yours before the warranty expires!

That's it for now! Hope this helps somebody out!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  4. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wow thats way too much weight for that truck........Well done waytogo

5. chevytrucknut

chevytrucknut Well-Known Member

yeah hehe i know but it does it all the time most smart people would use a tractor but there too slow so we use the pickups. waytogo burnout

6. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

Mainly towing. Toyhauler and quads weigh 7200lbs.

7. black jimmy

black jimmy Well-Known Member

1985 Chevy C30 Reg cab dually with a 6.2 diesel, sm465, and a Dana 70 with 4.10 gears. It hits 70 tops, but pulls pretty good considering what it is. I have about 2k in it so I can't complain.

8. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Come on fellow dmax runners. Everyday I get on here there are new posts by the dodge and ferd guys. Never any here on the GM side. I LOVE my DMAX!!!! The ride is some much better than the dodge or ferd, allison tranny is incredible, has a real back seat compared to dodge, runs fast stock, and is alot of fun when chiped. So lets hear from you other DMAX guys, and even you 6.5 runners. Like the saying goes, I'd rather be cummin than strokin, but to be cummin you have to be hard LIKE A ROCK!!!! Lets hear about some of your stories smokin the other two trucks, I wanna hear em.
    burnout

9. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

1999 Silverado 1500 32K
    Flowmaster Exhaust Orig. 40
    AEM Brute Force Intake (soon)
    I dont do a lot of towing, currently due to having no hitch, but I haul a lot. I haul both of our Polaris' with it. The most overloaded I've ever been was about 2 tons of bagged landscaping stone for around our pool. It took it in stride!

10. Ben427

Ben427 Member

2005 gmc 2500HD 4x4. ZF6, south bend dual disc clutch with a single mass flywheel. 285/75/16 bfg muds on PYO's. 10 ton craig tiltdeck tag trailer. Voyager brake controller . Edge J/A, hypertech, my own custom 4" exhaust. It doesnt smoke, even on 5x5 on the edge :) . Banks cold air kit on its way too. Pulls like a hoss!

11. NC Hauler

NC Hauler Member

Daily driver and towing

Use sig TV as a dailey driver, (little over 27 miles a day), also use it to tow a Coachmen Somerset Dreamcatcher 37RLS 5th wheel, 3 slides, loaded out. The dually is also pretty much loaded except for sunroof and DVD player, figured my 2 boxers wouldn't use them very much.

12. wpatrus

wpatrus Member

Use the truck in my sig as my daily driver. Actually gonna roll 30K in about 2 days:mad: . Anyway I am running MBRP cool duels (flange back) Preditor 2.02 and H2 takeoff wheels with 285 BFG's.
    I don't tow often, but I do. Gonna be pooling a skidsteer next week with a dumptrailer for a job. Heavest I have had yet. Mostly multiple ATV's or large landscape trailers.

13. Buccanoles

Buccanoles Active Member

05 2500HD 4x4 Duramax, I use it to haul my kids around. :D And sometimes my 2 Arctic Cat ATV's.

14. duramax

duramax Active Member

05 gm duramax, stock, use it for pulling my 25' fifth wheel 7,000!

15. super diesel

super diesel New Member

2002 Dmax with a seriously beefed Allison trans (never holds very long though). Extremly moded fuel system. Non-stock turbo (K31). Super moded steering system. Massively altered fueling program. 6 very sticky tires to hold it. :cool:

16. Strokincowboy

Strokincowboy Well-Known Member

well guys I just bought a duramax.

17. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Let us know how you like it. I went from a 95 cummins to a 02 DMAX, LOVE the dmax!!!

18. CB

CB Well-Known Member

Media:
    2002 2500 HD 4x4 with the Duramax. I haul the wife the little one, dog, fishing poles, tacklebox, ice chest and chairs. :D

Okay so maybe a 2500 diesel may be a little overkill but i plan to add a boat and maybe some 4-wheelers to that list.waytogo

19. Timu

Timu Member

05 Gmc 2500hd

I run a sweet little GMC that looks pretty stock on the outside except for the projector lights ( by the way the painless quad light kit is the bomb!). Under the "boring white crew cab with the skinny tires" hood resides a 6.6 with an Edge +Attitude stacked with a pred. The EGR is blocked to lower the soot and I run a 4" turbo back exhaust and a MAC intake with a custom filter box. I use the best synthetic oil on the planet in it. and to give it that one of a kind jet engine sound, a mufflerless Espar colant heater! Take that you folks who hate the sound of a diesel idling on a cold day! Oh yeah, and I have a shark shaped air freshener on the mirror to intimidate Ford Lightning owners.

20. 66chevy

66chevy Member

Love My Truck- 6 Gun Makes It Run Like A Spotted Ass Ape