gooseneck or 5th wheel?

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by sshewins, Feb 24, 2007.

1. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Which is better the gooseneck or 5th wheel as far as pulling weight and durability? Been tossin the idea around but I'm not sure which is better or why. Do they mix and match so to speak? Thanks in advance

2. BigTomBBQ

BigTomBBQ Member

Both are great for heavy loads/trailers. They are both bed/frame style hitches instead of a bumper or reciever below the bumper. They both offer better weight distribution to the tow vehicle, by the pivot point of the load being located in front of the centerline of the rear axle. The two are not directly interchangable. Most trailers that use one or the other can be modified to work for the other style.

Most large flatbed or lowboy open trailers and enclosed cargo/race car trailer use the gooseneck style, which has a ball that sticks up in the truck bed for the coupler from the trailer to connect to.

The fifth wheel hitch is a scaled down version of the hitch used on semi's. A large pivoting plate with a pair of jaws that locks onto a pin (kingpin). Unlike the gooseneck the tongue weight of the trailer is supported by the fifth wheel plate and not the ball. The fifthwheel travel trailers utilize that type of hitching.

3. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

aren't 5'ers ussually rated for more weight than gn's??

4. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

I always like GN... just my $0.02 worth

5. sshewins

gooseneck or 5th wheel

BigTom,

Hey, thanks! I just wasn't sure if it just boiled down to personal preferance or if there was a actual legitimate difference. Or if even one was more prevelant kinda like VHS vs BETA (if that doesnt date me rotfl )

Thanks again:)

6. Snowball

Snowball Member

aren't 5'ers ussually rated for more weight than gn's??

Other way around on most that I've seen.

7. Kbcjeep

Kbcjeep Member

I think it's just preference, I think 5th wheels are more durable for weight, just look at the design. Gn are still just using a 2 5/16 ball, where as 5ers use a king pin stud and big locking jaws, think about this too, 5ers dont need safety chains, GN's do. just stuff to think about.

8. BigTomBBQ

BigTomBBQ Member

Capacity for each is about the same. I have the B & W turnover ball gooseneck hitch on my F250. the hitch is rated to 30000 lbs. They also offer a compatible fifth wheel hitch that fits the gooseneck hitch with the same capacity.

I'm sure that there is a reason/limitations for one or the other. I just don't know.

9. CALoneStar

CALoneStar Member

I use both and like both. I use the B&W also, and have the fifth wheel hitch as well as the gooseneck. My gooseneck is rated for 30,000 lbs and the fifth wheel hitch (mounted on the same sub-assembly) is only rated to 18,000 lbs., which is more than I want behind my truck!

It is a lot easier to end up with a "clean" bed area with the gooseneck hitch. The ball is small, light, and easy to store. With the fifth wheel hitch you have considerably more weight to remove, and need a lot more storage area.

10. dmaxing

dmaxing Guest

5er hitch

11. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

just cuz GN need chains doesnt mean that people use them...

12. jalewis

jalewis Well-Known Member

I've read that GN's are much better for any trailer that's gonna see its fair share of time off of the highway/road. They articulate side to side better than a 5'er. I don't see too many 5'ers on farms or anything. I think the 5'ers are more meant for mainly on road duty. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

13. littlemrsmopar

littlemrsmopar Active Member

I didnt know there was that big of a difference. Color me better educated.

14. sshewins

articulating

Jalewis,

I would most definatly agree that the gn would articulate WAY better then the 5er would. The only draw-back that I see is the contact area of the ball itself to the trailer. My guess is only about 1 or 2 square inches of contact area vs. about 10 sq in with the 5er. It seems to my limited knowledge that the more contact area would be better all around. Now that I think about it some more I believe my friends dad put a 5er hitch in his truck that not only pivoted ft and bk but also went side to side too.

Thanks again :)

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    the pin on a 5er is just about the same size as the smallest part of the ball on my B&W GN hitch.

to answer the question, i prefer a GN hands down. BUT it also depends on waht you are going to tow, where you are going to tow it, and how offten.

going into tight areas or off pavement? GN, hands down.

going into areas where you will almost alwyas be on flat ground, with pavement and lots of room, 5er hands down.

going to be mixing it up a lot? well... rol the dice and pick one in my eyes...
    grant

16. ram02

ram02 Active Member

I pull my 36 ft Everest 5th wheel with a goose neck adapter on it.I like the way it pulls.I dont have that slack to take up,like you do on a regular plate. Just my opinion.