Hey, Dodge boy.....

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by budkole, Oct 20, 2005.

1. rlyons

rlyons Active Member

I guess I didn't make my point clear, I said still running, still pulling a load and putting out 300+HP! I have to laugh when I see the looks on the faces of old Ford and Chevy drivers when i breeze past them on the uphill grades when towing. There is no 92 Ford diesel or 92 Chevy diesel that can pull worth a darn on hills. I didn't say all, but most of the old Chevy diesels are in the junk yards and some didn't even make 100,000 miles. Check out the poll below and you will see the number one engine. Did you ever wonder why there are no V-8 diesels in the big rigs on the road today? :stir:

2. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

The trucks I was talking about are running DAILY. This is farm country here. Guys pull their horse trailers and hay wagons, sometimes way overloaded. And no they are not making 300+ HP. But that's because most of these are old, stock, working trucks. At my vo/tech school, we have an 86 Chevy Diesel running DAILY. It was the ex-bus garage service truck and it got tortured. It is now used for our construction class and its still tortured and still running with over 300k on the clock. The only reason the bus garage got rid of it is because the mechanics whined about the interior being all ripped up.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  3. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

How many miles on your rig rlyons? I had a 95 12 valve with 300,000 and and it still ran perfect when I sold it.

4. rlyons

rlyons Active Member

I've got right at 200,000 on it now.

5. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    My 6.2 has just about 250K on it and still runs fine. Its not in the junkyard, and it hasnt had the easiest life either.

Oh, and for the record, the reason you dont see the big v-8 diesels anymore in OTR trucks is due to emissions. If the two stroke detroits would still have passed the requirements, you better believe they would still be in production.

6. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I can pretty much guarantee they wouldn't be.

7. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

I agree. I've also heard that the 460 Ford was a beast too.waytogo

8. Sawmill man

Sawmill man Member

I did not buy a dodge I bought a cummins it just had a dodge raped around it not much for the truck love the motor.:stir:

9. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    I own several trucks and average 180K miles per year per truck. I am not biased at all, The dodge is the best work truck for several reasons. First off the motor is undoubtedly the best available in these trucks, which is why it was Fords #1 Choice fore thier 550 and 650 trucks. It is the only medium duty diesel in the pack offering up to 60,000 of towing ability.

The new 47/48re transmissions are as good if not better than the allison 1000. There is alot of room for improvement on all the transmissions.

the 08 f 550 was a joke. at 90,000 miles, it had been through 3 motors and was quickly returned to ford for another dodge.

It is not a matter of Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, it is a matter of which one can be repaired on the highway, which one has the highest mileage intervals between rebuilds and fuel mileage. In all of these categories, the Dodge with the Cummins is a hands down winner.

Other things that were not mentions are the tighter turning radius, larger brakes, higher payload capacity and how easyily can you repair items on the truck. The Cummins is a motor, the ford and chevy have so much hardware and crap in the way, I could take it apart, but would not have a bench big enough to place all the parts out on the table....

:rolleyes:

10. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

I had a F250 with an EFI 460 , it would do the task at hand if you could afford to feed it @ 6 mpg

P.S.
    I ran it for a week in the snow and mud in 4 low and still got 6 mpg

11. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

My 460 got about 6 MPG wide open or slow cruising you couldnt beat it thought and it pulled whatever I hooked it up to without an issue.......

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    this is just why i got a dodge. if i could have the fit and finish of a ford, a ford chassis and chevy looks with this engine and transmission combo i would be set...

my dodge reads 66+k on the ODO, but due to tire size has around 70k on it. it is starting to fal apart in little ways. interior stuff is starting to rattle and the fit/finish is better than it has been for dodge in the past, but still lacking.

my next truck will be a ford... but an F650 with a cummins. waytogo

13. dodgerep

Media:

Well, I have tried all the best and the worst, here is why I drive a Dodge. Just one truck for example:

2006 3500 4X4 Dually. Mileage 260K+ 240K loaded over 5K trailer weigth is a minimum. average is 16K.

Most weight ever pulled 42,732#

Most weight ever pushed: 53,670# (North American Van Lines)

Most expensive repair: Stock Transmission finally lost flex plate at 101,000 miles

At 240K miles rotors, and ujoints all the way around

Fuel Mileage? You would not believe me. ;)

14. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

What do you get?????

15. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

Cummins and MEGA CAB!!

16. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

I get 5-12 loaded my wife gets 25+ that'll average out to 17 right?

17. cummins4x4

cummins4x4 Well-Known Member

i like my dodge only for one reason, the 6.7 cummins...well, and for the low stickerprice i paid...
    now if you would ask me why i like my chevy i could list a whole bunch of reasons but thats something for another thread...

18. dodgerep

Media:
    When I am empty, with no Hydrogen system, I get 22.3 when I am loaded, I avearage 13.8 with heavy loads and 14.7 with light loads, running hydrogen I can get over 35 empty and over 20 pulling.

waytogo

19. JT6BT

JT6BT New Member

Hydrogen system? What's that? I'm intrigued. :D

20. Mikes06_Ram3500

Mikes06_Ram3500 Member

I like my Dodge because:
    1) I don't have to add a power adder to it to go the speed limit with a load. So what if a modded Ford or GM can outrun me. They can't, stock, and I have full warranty on my truck, no questions asked.
    2) Solid construction in and out. I sat in a 2006 Ford and the dash reminded me of a school bus interior. Black plastic. Seats in the extended cab were cheap, and I wasn't about to pay a premium for a crewcab. Dodge's quad cab is large enough, and interior quality was better.
    3) Engine. Need I say more?
    4) Price. Ford wanted 3% OVER invoice. I paid $34,500 for an '06 Ran 3500 SLT dually, with jake brake and nav system... and other options. Lou Fusz Dodge worked with me, from ordering through delivery. Best price I found.
    5) Satisfaction. Never been passed by another pickup hauling a load uphill. Love that Cummins and the manual transmission. Quiet, smooth ride. Makes that payment much easier to accept each month. Spun the rear wheels taking off from a rolling start (U-turn) in 2nd gear, with my 5700 pound (empty--no horses were aboard) gooseneck horse trailer in tow. Chirped third gear.

Anyway... I love the truck... she's mine till 2021, then I'll buy whatever is next. Guess we'll be on pickups that haul using Hydrogen or something by then, or diesel will have become so prohibitively expensive that I'll have long before given up distance horseback racing as a hobby.

Mike