I TOO, bought a starter tow rig :)

Discussion in 'GM Gas Engine Rigs' started by 4xcrazy, Feb 24, 2007.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy Member

Just thought i'd post up in here, as my buddy did, say hey, I am new to this forum, thought i'd start checkin it out since i ALSO have a new/used tow rig..

Bought from a local guy, had a bad motor, getting that taken care of pretty soon, and also going to have the trans rebuilt, alittle tougher/beefier to withstand the towing duties it will be asked to do from time to time.

I know it's not the BEST type of engine for towing large items, but hey, it's a start..

The truck,,,, is a 1986 Chevy crewcab dually,,,the plan is to have a 5th wheel hitch installed in the bed, and eventually (hopefully in the next few months) pick me up a nice 5th wheel travel trailer to yank behind it. :D

I know the gasser will struggle at times pulling up hills and whatnot, but i believe it will get the job done.

Going to get the motor & trans taken care of, clean up the interior, and change out some parts/color and give it a better paint job, kinda ugly at the moment, but it'll be fine once all is done. :bling:

Attached Files:

2. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new to you rig and its alright being a gasser while we may be few it does cost us less per fill up at the pumps.

3. '05 2500HD

'05 2500HD Well-Known Member

Nice truck. I love the look of those crew cab duallies. And gassers aren't that bad reall. It is nice to be able to start the truck up without any problems when it's -10* and the deisel guys can't get theirs to fire :stir:

4. Nitelord

Nitelord Well-Known Member

Media:
    Nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

5. rocknbronco

Also you dont have to wait to start the thing on cold days or hot days either.

6. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    This isn't 1983 and all there is, is a 6.2 GM and 6.9 Ford on the market.

If you've got a Cummins or Dmax, it's going to start WELL bleow *0.:D Ford guys.... I'm going to have to agree with him.:stir:

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet truck, as a few might already know, I have a thing for these older Gm crew cabs....

8. '05 2500HD

'05 2500HD Well-Known Member

Sorry for the hijack here.
    I love deisels, don't get me wrong, but around here it's hard to get quality diesel fuel that doesn't gel up below 0, so additives that are very $$$ negate the fuel mileage savings.
    Ok, back on topic.

9. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

whats with the spare truck in bakground is it a parts truck or another build??waytogo

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy Member

i just had a buddy of mine remove that one from the property.
    It was the original project i had going, was going to be a frame up rebuild, and came across the 86 for a much cheaper price than would have cost me to do that rebuild.

Installing a motor in the 86 now, unfortunately it's only a 350, but hey, it'll tote it around town and get me back and forth to and from work, whatever that may be, since the Burb has a blown headgaskets, ,,,,and with 255k miles, i am just not sure i want to do a gasket replacement only on it.

I do have a 454 sitting on an engine stand for the cc dually, jusy going to cost more money than i currently have, or am making to get it rebuilt to the way i really want it.:pimp:

but anyways, the one in the background was from a local guy, on CK5, AZblazor, it was a '74 cc dually, had a salvage title,, i went out to Cali and bought the almost excellent condition bed from a guy out in L.A. area and it is going on the '86 as soon as i get it running.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy Member

I have always loved the look of the crew cab duallies,,,the two vehicles i always swor i would own, were an IROC Camaro and ANY year crew cab dually,,,love them all...

already owned the IROC, and loved it, plan on getting another one, and now have this dually and plan on building it up,,,,,er down some :doah:

i have a 2.5" spindle drop and 2" coil spring drop kit here for it,,,want to get it running and at least driveable first :D

planning on setting up the rear suspension somewhat to be able to handle towing jobs,,,but at the same time, have the lowered "sport stance" look.....not looking for a slammed truck, just dropped down a bit.:pimp:

12. rocknbronco

Hey nothing wrong with a small block yeah its not a power house like big blocks but its still not to terribly bad and gears can make one heck of a helper.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy Member

Well i don't plan on doing any towing with it until i get the bbC rebuilt the way i want it, and installed,,,just need something to drive now, since the Burbs motor just died a few weeks ago :(

Just got around to pulling the intake off of it, ans was not too happy to see what i did.......literally clumps of dried, crusted,burnt oil,,,not sludge, this stuff is hard chunks.i suppose with 255k miles it's about due for a rebuild now...

14. rocknbronco

Sluge sucks

15. duckmanquacker

lemmee guess used penzoil or quakerstate:doah:

16. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Well-Known Member

I'm working on one of those right now. Doing a "resto-mod" on it and using it for a trail clean up truck and light tow-rig. (flat tow the Jeep to trails).

This is the most recent picture I have. Bedside has been replaced, rockers, floors, corners. Custom short box. :D

Will be fully sound deadened with RAAMat stuff. Currently has a 454.

I like the look of the old trucks more than the new.

I bet you will see more "resto-mod" tow rigs. I have a buddy working on an old Dodge Crew Cab too.

[​IMG]

17. duckmanquacker

to xtremjeepn, nice project hope to see it finished waytogo

18. Xtremjeepn

Thanks. It should be up and running soon.

19. rocknbronco

Looking good love the wheel and tire set up.

20. Xtremjeepn

Every tow rig should have 37s on beadlocks :rolleyes: