I want more gas mileage!

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by BurbLover, Mar 27, 2006.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've got a 96 F350 CC SRW long bed 4x4 w/ a 7.3L. It's has the following: superchips programmer, K&N filter, boost guage & a pyrometer. I am hoping to find some more mileage. The best I can get is 13 as long as I keep it under 2200 rpms. I was thinking of doing something to get better mileage. I thought of the following:
    - replace superchips programmer w/ a better one (unknown which)
    - install intercooler
    - install down pipe
    - install cat back (unknown brand/size)

I am open to suggestions from anyone knowledgable. I am not concerned about getting more torque or HP, but it would be mileage. Bottom line, I need better mileage. So, ideas?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, my grandfather has a '95 identical to yours, and claimed 20mph average when it was newer (has 300+K on it now).

You could try going with something like an Edge EZ, but highly doubt that it would make much of a difference.

I would try a good 4" exhaust system and intake system. The K&N in the stock box is a so-so setup.

Are you getting 13 on the highway, in town, or an average of both? If it's 13 in town only, thats not all that bad I don't think.

Exhaust is probably the first thing I'd do, since you also gain lower EGT's. The problem with gaining mileage with the exhaust, is that you will find yourself getting on it more with the winders down ...don't ask how I know.:doah: rotfl

Here is another thing to think about. How much money is worth getting an extra 2mpg's out of the truck? It takes a LONG time and/or a LOT of miles for 2mpg's to pay back $700-800 worth of stuff.

3. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

my 97 with clipper gears, 2wd only gets 19 on the highway crusing at 1,900 RPM's.

4. BurbLover

Media:
    Some good points. I've heard some good stories about 18-20 w/ 4x4s like mine. Maybe I am just dreaming. I plan on keeping the truck for some time, but don't want to just throw $$ into either. My tires are about shot, so I plan on going from 265s to 285s for some more speed at 2200 rpms.

So, any other ideas?

5. BurbLover

Media:
    Doing some quick math, I came up with the following:

Assume:
    - $1000 upgrade investment
    - Current MPG = 13
    - Projected MPG = 15
    - Assume $2.50/gallon fuel

At 13 mpg, it costs $0.19231/mile.
    At 15 mpg, it costs $0.16667/mile.
    Savings equals $0.02564/mile.

At $1000, it will take 39000 miles to recoupe investment.

1. So, does this make sense to anyone else?
    2. Would you do it for $1000?
    3. Any good sources for these upgrades?

Truck is in awesome shape w/ 12K miles on rebuilt E4OD tranny and 190K on engine. My truck payment is only $200/mo, so I can't justify a new truck & a larger payement.

6. BurbLover

Media:
    What are clipper gears?

7. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    How much longer do you plan on driving your truck? If you have 190k on it now you will need to drive to 230k just to break even (and that's assuming that fuel prices remain the same).

Also, how much do you drive every month? Because if you drive more than a couple thousand miles per month, you might actually be able to get a newer truck (that gets 20-22 mpg on the freeway) while spending the same amount per month. Like in my situation, if i were getting 13mpg, I would be paying probably an extra $80 per month (in comparison to the 16-17 that I average)

8. BurbLover

Media:
    Well, if the price of fuel increases, then it the cost per mile will increase and the payback comes sooner with less required miles. As for how much longer will I keep it, probably for several years. I only drive it maybe 600 miles right now, partly because of mileage. I'm getting ready to increase my tire size to as big that will fit stock. Mainly doing htis to increase hwy speed at 2200 rpms. If I can get 3-5 mpg increase, then to me it would be worth the $1000 investment.

9. jalewis

jalewis Well-Known Member

The math makes sense to me. Keep in mind that putting bigger tires on will decrease your in town mileage.

If you get the projected 2 mpg increase, at the current rate of driving, it would take you a little under 5.5 years to cover those 39,000 miles.

Now if you drive almost all of your miles on the highway then those tires would probably increase mileage another mpg or so due to lower rpms.

Are you including the cost of tires in the $1000? That would definitely limit the other modifications you could make for $1000.

Also, considering that fuel prices probably will increase I probably would go ahead and purchase an exhaust and intake.

10. miniwally

miniwally Well-Known Member

The larger tires are also wider and I would lay money down that you will not get any better milage. Maybe even get slightly worse milage.

I would do the upgrades myself but I enjoy the power, sound and working on it so that to me is worth it. Any milage increase is a bonus to me.

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Exactly, I wouldn't do it if it was me, unless you are trying to get other things out of those mods.

I highly doubt anything at all would yeild a 3-5mpg increase, and I doubt the tires will make that much of a difference too.

12. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    This post touches on several things.

First, he may not be up to spending 30-50K for a newer model truck, and there are very few to zero Fords getting 22-24mpg. I hate to burst peoples bubbles, but in the real world its not happening.
    I think if you have a connection with a truck alredy paid for, then upgrades CAN be a good idea. I think you are on the right track with intercooler mods. Exhaust is another thing that needs to be addressed. The older the truck, the less in tune with effiecency the manifacturer was in the exhaust dept.
    Also, you can do the cost analysis stuff, but the bottom line is he is doing if for a reason. 1 is for better economy. 2, he doesn't have to buy a new truck!!! 3rd, he should see a substantial increase in driveablity. He wants performance upgrades. They help in both departments.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

Jason

13. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    ;)
    Yeah, real world mileage is usually not as good as what people like to "claim" they get. Yeah, they may get that mileage, but on a perfect day with light traffic, flat ground, and no weight but the truck.

I have managed 21mpg on the freeway, but I have to have summer blend and perfect freeway conditions. Meaning that traffic has to be light so I can keep the cruise set for maximum efficiency and nothing but the truck and me driving it.

Bottom line, I get 15.5 in town and 19-20 on the freeway (summer blend seems to yeild the 20 on the highway).

I would do an exhaust system for not only an efficiency gain, but for the sound, EGT reduction, and nice looking tip.

14. Torquer

Torquer Well-Known Member

Media:
    One thing not mentioned thus far is INJECTORS. I know a good set of EDM F1 injectors can add 2 mpg and increase power. Call Rip Rook (www.sourceautomotive.biz) and ask him his opinion. He's an expert on Cummins motors, not sure about Ford.

Bobby, didn't your dad put Mach 1's in his truck? He should have seen a mile or two per gallon improvement. A friend of mine saw almost 2 (he hand calculates every tank like I do with correction factors for tire size) and was way impressed with the power increase on top of the mpg increase. Cost - $600 for the Mach 1's..............and payback with any of this stuff is not only in mpg, it is in smile factor :D .

15. BurbLover

Media:
    These are the kind of replies I was hoping for. Thank you very much guyswaytogo

I'll answer a few things if I can. First of all, the tires are not part of the $1000. My tires are about shot & I need them anyway. Currently, to keep the rpms at 2200, my speed tops at 68 or so. I'm hoping to go as big as feasible to get more highway speed at the same rpms. Going from 265s to 285 should get me about 3 mph. I'm going to see if anything bigger will fit. I'd like to get a 85 series if I can find it. This would give me height instead of width, whihc in turn will give less resistance and weight. Also, I hadn't thought of upgrading the injectors.

My ultimate goal is 15 mpg at highway speeds. Not getting that right now. I'll definately be doing some upgrades this over the next 3-4 months. Now, to decide which ones & in what order:doah:

16. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    You are getting 13mpg on the highway? That doesn't sound right.

If you want injectors, I would look into EDM's. They are more expensive, but usually gain mileage over extrude honed versions.

17. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, he jumped at least 2mpg, but he did a new VP44 at the time also, so that could have helped too.

I have no idea what effect different injectors have on an International engine. He could try it though.

18. BurbLover

Media:
    Just highway at 2200 rpms unloaded, I get 13.5.

Yeah, it sucks.:mad:

19. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Something is got to be wrong, that is VERY low.

20. BurbLover

Media:
    Kinda what is driving this post. When I bought the truck a year ago, the PO said he was getting 17-19 in the Colorado Mtns. I've never got that. So, maybe this brings another issue. If something might be wrong, where should I start? I'm a novice when it comes to diesels.