Love my 6.5!!

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.5' started by Brisk, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I was thinking to myself...self so many people have such a bad impression of the 6.5, so why dont we start a thread about how great ours have been??

Here goes:

I love my 6.5. It has been running flawlessly for quite a while now. I had to replace a few items that I would expect too with 120k on the clock (i.e. PMD, Glow plugs, fuel shut off switch, wastegate solonoid) I drive 100+ miles a day for work w/ ~1000lbs in the bed and it loves every minute of it. It is so comfy to drive and will cruise effortlessly on the freeway all day long. I average 14+mpg at 6000ft elev. on winter fuel with a lumber rack and 4.10s (a gas motor would get me about 10-11 on a good day) My truck looks awesome and will go though any amount of snow I can throw at it. I pulled 8500lbs from CA to Denver and was able to maintain 65+mph on all but the biggest/longest grades.

So that is how I feel about my 6.5 so how about you???

2. cummin get me

cummin get me Member

I can't say a bad thing about them except it wasn't as strong as the fords or dodges. I had a 93 6.5L turbo diesel, 5 speed dually, with 495,000 miles on it when I traded it in on a 01 dodge, yes I said 495,000, the only thing I replaced was the tension pulley and the fuel pump and I Had the transmission reworked and a new clutch but for that many miles that isn't bad. although I drive hard Itake care of my trucks I let them warm up and cool off every time I run them, when I traded it in I was getting probably around 14-15 mpg, chevys still are the best truck, but the motors just aren't the same as the competitions.

3. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

I really like my truck also. No major problems yet. You can get a bad truck in any of them. But so far the 6.5L has done what I want with no issues. I have no intention on selling it anytime soon.

4. cummin get me

cummin get me Member

for upgrades I think jet or accel sells a chip for the six five and you can also buy an upgraded turbo from Gm.

5. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ive been happy with my 6.5. They arent bad motors so long as you understand the quirks and dont expect them to live 400K miles under hard abuse. Ive got some minor mods, 4"exhaust/3"downpipe, gauges, SSDieselSupply's intake, homebrew boost controller, and a couple other $5 mods. The $7 in cab boost controller was a great mod, i would highly recomend that to anybody with a mostly stock 6.5. Same with the high idle switch, my truck spends about 7-10 hours a week idling so that was really worth it for me.

On winter fuel i average 15mpg, have peaked at nearly 18. When summer comes i may see 20mpg on the highway, which is alot better than any gasser.

6. 94 at Large

94 at Large Member

Media:
    Have had mine since new. Had the usual multiple IP replacements (under warranty) couple of lift pumps and OPS, but otherwise has done well by me. Am thinking of getting a Chevy Dooley but will keep the 6.5 as I have grown quite attached.

7. rhinopkc

rhinopkc New Member

Where can I find more info on the homebrew boost controller and other low-buck mods?

8. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    www.dieselplace.com , or just ask in a new thread here. I dont want to hijack Brent's thread to much;)

9. hayaboosta

hayaboosta Active Member

Media:
    totally agree .. have had my truck since mid 2004 and even though it doesnt have the best power that i would like, the reliabilty has been great. with around 125K miles the only thing that i have had to replace is the PMD, which wouldnt of been to bad but i decided to go with the HeathDiesel.com PMD/FSD relocation kit. Also need to replace the GP's in the spring and then 4x4 actuator. but like i said 125K miles. with 3.73's im averaging 15-18mpg alot nicer than my parents 6.6 which gets around 9-11

10. Heavydutyharley

Heavydutyharley Well-Known Member

" homebrew boost controller, and a couple other $5 mods. The $7 in cab boost controller was a great mod,"

Tell me more about this $7.00 in cab boost controller. I sometimes pull a 11K 33' fifth wheel camper, on the big hills I need a little help. I have the reflashed computer, upgrade exhaust, ARE air filter.

Thanks ,

HD

11. 94MT

94MT New Member

94mt

I have a 94 3/4 ton that I tow a 27' camper with. Up until recently it hasn't performed to my liking. The previous owner replaced the gears with 4:10's. I have a 4L80E transmission. I've changed the exhaust on it and have put on an AFE cold air system. Just recently I installed a Turbo Master manual boost controller. This has really helped. My EGT's are lower as is my engine temp. I have it set to around 12 lbs of boost. The problem I'm having is when the pick-up shifts down and the boost holds at a steady 10-12 lbs. of boost my over boost code sets and the engine defuels. I would like to know how to build a boost fooler if you could help me? If I can get the power up I would like to possibly go back to the 3:73 gears it originally came with. Currently the best I can do for mileage is 17 empty and around 10 pulling my camper.

12. hayaboosta

hayaboosta Active Member

Media:
    imho, as im not a diesel mechanic, that over boost code is saving you ALOT of money at the stealer or at a shop getting your heads shaved and block shaved for new head gaskets ... just my .02 .. i keep mine at 8-9 w/out any problems

13. 94MT

94MT New Member

94mt

I was told as long as my EGT's are all right i can have this much boost. At 12 lbs. boost my EGT's running under 1000 deg. and my engine is running cooler than it has since i purchased the truck.

14. Missy good wench

Missy good wench Member

I have owned a 93 6.5 and it was great, bought a new 94 dually crecab 4x4 and it was a nice truck but the electronic issues were just coming into play. Bought a 95 Burb with 6.5

Bought a 94 6.5 Burb off ebay in feb 04 with 230K on the clock, Paid $8500 and it ran fine until march and the PMD went away.
    Ran fine until last april and the old girl finally gave up and I rebuilt the engine at 250K
    Sucker runs great again and we just love our BURB

Have a 91 Burb with 196K on the clock and got it for $3500 around Holloween time.

Gonna dump in either a 6.2 banks TD or a 6.5TD have not toally decided yet.
    Gotta love them little diesel rats.
    Just dont get caught in the crispy zone

MGW:stir:

15. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Member

Let's compare apples to apples here. Back in the 90's the 6.5 was very competitive with the Powerstroke and Cummins. I have friends with 90's Fords and Dodges, and I have no problems keeping up with, or even out pulling them at times. We haul hay out of Grand County, Colorado, over Berthoud Pass (11,000+ Feet.) Pulling within a couple hundred pounds of each other I usually pull the hill faster. To be fair, the Ford is faster out of the switchbacks, and the cummins runs cooler. I read all the time about people who traded their trucks in on a newer truck, and then say how much more power the Cummins or Powerstrike has. If you had a '90s Cummins or PS you would find the same when you got the newer truck also. On that note, the '01 Duramax ate everything else for lunch - and still continues to do so. waytogo