My tires are rubbing!!!

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by yellowxj, Jun 30, 2005.

1. yellowxj

yellowxj Active Member

235/85R16's on a 89 chevy dually...gotta a heavy trailer on it today...heard a little squeak and noticed my tires are rubbing a hair...is it bad? do I need to lighten the load? I'm checking my tire pressure in a few minutes but generally they are near max psi...heading to NC tonight or tomorrow so I could use some quick advice...I've seen plenty of people run dually's with big tires rubbing all the time but I'd swear I heard it was very bad to do...

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You mean the dual's sidewalls are rubbing from the bubble? Not the fenderwells or anything right? What load rating are your tires? Are they overloaded? You definantly don't want them to rub together, that causes the tires to heat up IIRC. I would say air them up some more if you can or take some weight off.

3. yellowxj

yellowxj Active Member

THanks for the advice. They are 235/85R16's 10ply IIRC. Just rubbed a hair at the bulge, I took a camper off the trailer and reloaded the jeeps, before all the jeeps were about 8 feet further up the trailer and there was a pop up camper on the tail, with my heavy jeep rolled all the way back lets me move them all back and balance it a lot better.....All better now. I had 215's on it before but the 235/85's let me run a hair faster on the florida flat roads...no overdrive so I'm max'd at about 60-65 mph...3000rpm...

[​IMG]

Cant wait to get up to the mountains, 2nd gear 45 mph max on the hard climbs...fun fun fun...

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Holy crap, thats a lot of jeeps piled up on there. ;) No wonder, you were overloaded. :doah: Good luck on the trip.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    beautifull setup ya got there.... now time to swap a cummins and OD tranny in.... rotfl waytogo
    looks great though. bummer baout not being able to take the camper, but it is a lot safer that way...
    grant