Need info on boats!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Nov 6, 2005.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    We are looking at boats. My dad wants a boat for a summer thing since we don't have snow year around.

We found a 1985 Sea Ray 22' merc Cruiser. It has a cabin down below with two rooms, a sink, and an ice box. The engine is a 3.75L 4 cylinder, the engine and outdrive were rebuilt and has 3hrs on it with the paperwork to show. THe apholstery basically needs to be redone up front and below, otherwise the boat is in decent shape. It has a crappy CD player and cheap pioneer speakers.

The trailer is a tandem trailer with brand new tires, just got back from the tire shop with no trips on them. One new hub with new shoes, and surge brakes on one axle. New lights and a jack that needs replacing.

My pop haggled him to $6,800 and he will take us out to the water in the morning to show how it runs and how to operate it.

How does this deal sound? I don't know much more about boats than that they float, and if the bottom starts taking on water, thats a bad thing.rotfl

Any pointers or suggestions would be great! Thanks.

2. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Price sounds WAY to high for that boat, especially with only a 4cyl. Maybee everything is more expensive in California, but i personally wouldnt pay more than $4500 for that particular boat, no matter how good of shape its in. You can do better, IMHO

3. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would hold out for a bigger engine. At least a v6 or even better a 350

4. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
  5. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ive been around boats my whole life and have to agree that the price is to high. In a boat that size you will probably want a small block V8. A V6 would be adequate but you usually find those in boats under 19'. Are you planning on sleeping in the boat overnight on trips? If so than the cuddy cabin would be a good idea. If not look for a bowrider so you can have more people in the boat. What are you planning on using it for? Wakeboarding? Skiing? Fishing? Cruising around? This will be the biggest determining factor in what size/type boat to buy. take a look at boattrader.com and see what is available throughout the country in your price range. that will give you a better idea of what is a good deal and what isnt.

Good luck and keep us updatedwaytogo :popcorn:

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    The owner of the boat in question took us out on the river this morning and we were happy with it's performance. Pop bought it

$6800. I was sceptical of the inline 4 myself, it's a 230 in is one side of a Ford 460 BBF. THe power wasn't impressive but it jumped up to 30mph fairly quick and began to lightly struggle for 35mph, but holds it. I asked a few guys that I know and they said it should be enough power for pulling a skier.

We just want a decent sized boat to cruise around on, we have a delta that looks like a spider's web on a map and you can travel for miles and miles in all different directions. We thought it would be fun to unload at our nearest dock and travel all the way up to Sacramento and what not. Do some moderate fishing, waterskiing, tubes. Also we would hope it will be a good boat for relaxing with the cabin. We have plans for a nice stereo and a TV. We already have enough hobbies that are physically demanding (sleds and quads) and would be nice to have one that helps relaxation.waytogo

As far as the price goes, we did some research and went through the local boat trader magazine. Similar boats were going from 8K-12k and were in similar configurations, year, and condition. The boat came with new tires on the trailer, new lights, a depth & fish finder (looks like an expensive one), new bemini top, and fairly new complete boat cover.

Permenant marker,

The apholstery isn't torn up, it's just a fugly color (hot pink, teal, and purple) and has some minor sun damage at the top of the back. If a person liked the colors, it would be ok for a while longer.

7. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wow boats go for a fortune out there. and a four banger in an 22' boat? I have a 71 Glastron 21' with and I6 and I would not want anything smaller. Anyway Good luck with it!

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I found online that the engine has to be somewhere between 110-190HP because 110HP was the smallest power level put into a merc cruiser Sea Ray.

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Got some pics of the boat finally downloaded. Let me know if this makes the price better or worse.:popcorn:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    It looks pretty clean especially for an '85! No rust or anything on the trailer either!

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    THats what we were thinking, it looks like it was taken care of.

12. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

If you're going to run the delta, get a good chartmapping GPS in there. It's easy to get lost if you don't know your way around the islands.

13. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Looks nice, but wow, that thing has a four banger? Seems like a lot of boat. As long as you're happy though!

Marc

14. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, a 3.7 litre four. It's a lot of motor for four pistons, but I would agree that it's kind of an oddball powerplant. It doesn't seem to bad for the amount of time we had it on the water. We unloaded in the delta and ran up stream a ways and back for about 45 minutes. It wasn't bad.

We are going to try just a regular delta map first. I am thinking about getting a hand held GPS for this winter's coming snowmobile season. I could bring it with me when we hit the delta.

15. LiftedBlackHD

LiftedBlackHD New Member

Are you on 132 in that pic?