New Mustang

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by CK5, Jun 23, 2005.

1. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    I am an old Camaro guy, but the new Mustang is pretty sweet, got Cobra? If I was in the market for a single/cool guy ride I would have to take a close look at it, one of the best retro's out there. thoughts?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I sat in a GT convertible the other day, it was pretty cool. If I was to buy a new car with fast and cool being the top priorities, I'd go with a GTO (400hp, 4.9 sec 0-60 waytogo ) or one of them fancy pants Chargers.

3. CK5

Media:
    I like the power of the GTO but it looks to bland, now if they did a decent retro of the GTO with the current drivetrain, then they would have something. waytogo

4. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm kind of a bland guy, nonfunctional scoops and funky spoilers piss me off. :doah:

5. CK5

Media:
    Yeah, I agree on the nonfunctional stuff, but I like a little style with my 400 ponies!

6. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd absolutely love to see a new retro model of the 1963 Sting Ray split window. It's my favorite car!

7. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

I want a '07 Shelby GT500 Mustang. Performance should be = to a Z06 Corvette. :pimp: :cool:

8. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    For the first time in about 20 years, I find myself thinking about cars. Between the Mustang, Charger, and GTO, it looks like the Big 3 are finally paying attention to the middle class "enthusiast" again for the first time since the very early 70s. But in spite of the fact that I was a GTO nut in years gone by (primarily 66-67), I agree with Steve on the current "look", even though I agree with Shag about fru-fru spoilers and scoops. Give me a REAL shaker scoop (or even solid) or CI and we will call it good! waytogo

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh yeah, the Charger......it's a joke IMHO....it's a 300M with a different front clip and the "hemi."

10. BadDog

Media:
    Oh yeah, I like the 300M too. But it's the retro styling on the Charger that I really like, so the clip does just fine for me. No real diff from the Neon/PT (can't stand that one) or GTO/Monaro(?), or any of the dozens of FMC/DC/GM multi target platforms. So what's your complaint?

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    The new Charger looks nothing like the original model. It doesn't look like a retro in anyway. It is a 4 door family sedan with Charger emblems.

12. BadDog

Media:
    Well, not in the same way as the new Mustang which has really clear styling cues, but more than the GTO which doesn't even give the original so much as a nod other than "big engine in small/midsize chassis" approach. And I can see some influence in the over-bite nose and general cap styling. Not clear, and not as much as I would like to have seen, but it's still clearly not "modern" in the typical aero style. <shrug> I guess yet again we will have to agree to disagree, but I think it's a rather nice semi retro(ok, I'll give that much ;)) sedan. I've not driven one, so I could be wrong, but if it had been out when we bought my wife's GTP Comp-G we would have been considering it...

13. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh yeah, the 425hp in the R/T Daytona version is a big joke. :D

I think it's a nice looking car, who cares that it shares a platform with the 300m, the 300 m is a nice car too. :confused:

14. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    There was only the standard 345HP Hemi under the Charger that I looked at, no 425HP motor that I hear is coming from Mopar soon. It IS a nice car, very nice in fact. Also is the 300M, but it's a family Sedan, not a badass 2 door sporty car like the original.

Maybe they are making a 2 door version, I don't know. All I know is my local dealership had about 1/2 a dozen Chargers and all were 4 doors.

15. CK5

Media:
    There is a rumor that in 07 or 08 a two door Charger is coming, I don't really think it looks anything like an old Charger, could have just as easy named it something else. Nice car but should have created a new name as to not piss off the muscle car purest.

16. BadDog

Media:
    I'll say the same thing about "new name" for the GTO. At least the "Charger" has the vague cap cross section (sans scoop options) and undercut nose of the original. The GTO doesn't even get that... <sniff>

17. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    I like the new Charger, thinking about getting a Daytona R/T in "Go Mango" Orange. It's the SRT-8 that will have 425hp, it'll be out at the end of summer from what I heard.

I like the new Mustang too, but the interior is a bit *too* retro, and all the wheel options are fugly. Needs some nice deep dish wheels.

Marc

18. CK5

Media:
    Not only that but I saw a 1963 Volkswagon Beetle spank a new GTO, and I know it was true because I saw it in "Herbie Fully Loaded" waytogo

19. BadDog

Media:
    Nice....
    [​IMG]

20. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Now that Charger doesn't look bad but it's still a 4door and the models I have seen seem to have a mellower front end and no hood scoop.