New to oil burners

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by PETEE, Jul 15, 2009.

1. PETEE

PETEE New Member

Hi all, came across the site looking for a muffler for my 04 ram.(mine rusted out). I noticed most of the aftermarket mufflers were either 4" or 5" inlets and outlets. My stock system is 3", this got me to consider going with a whole new system.:D I'm more than happy with the way the truck performed stock, but there is always room for improvement. I just would like to hear other input from those that have changed their exhaust systems,ease of install is huge since it will be done in the drive. The truck is totally stock, any input would be great.

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    From what I understand, and hopefully someone that has done this will chime in, the 4" would be fine and what most people do, the 5" is done when you are going for a large amount of hp or more toward race applications.

3. ram02

ram02 Active Member

I have the magnaflow 4" system.It installed very easily,in the factory hangars and doesnt give out a drone at highway speed.

4. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yes, 4'' exhaust is more than sufficient for most applications. However, even though I would have been fine with a 4'' system, I changed to a 5'' system because of the sound; it just sounds beefier if that makes sense. If you are planning on keeping the truck stock though (ie not planning on adding fuel with a chip or injectors) I would stick with 4''.

My vote would be for a Magnaflow 4'' system. You can buy the whole system online through summit racing or somewhere for fairly cheap.

5. xploretx

xploretx Active Member

Do they offer a 3.5" to 4" adapter to use the magnaflow system? Is it straight through?

Thanks
    Pete