Not the usual wheel question...

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by willyswanter, May 26, 2005.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter Well-Known Member

Media:
    Alright, I'm contemplating a KORE pace system for my 03 Dodge. Also want to go with a 315/70/R17 tire. Problem is, I hate the look of all aftermarket dually front wheels. The rears look good but that bulged out front is hideous.

So, heres my thinking, I can unbolt the dual wheel adapters from the front axle, effectively turning my front axle into a SRW style axle. Then buy a matching series regular wheel for the front and the dually wheel for the rear. I can then carry one 315 spare in the stock spare location and keep a dually adapter in the tool box. If I blow a front tire I can bolt on the dually adapter and the spare dually rim/tire. Bolting the hub on is no harder than changing the tire out since it's just 8 more nuts.

Anywho, I'm thinking Weld EVO Velociti 8's:

Rear:

[​IMG]

Front:

[​IMG]

Only problem is no one but KORE makes a wheel with the proper backspacing for the front in an SRW application. Around 6.25" of back spacing. The Welds are 5.14" or something like that which is really close and with the offset gives me a 1.47" wider per side stance in the front which isn't bad but I don't like the effects on the unit bearings. But the conversion to dana 60 outers should solve this.

Anywho, anyone have any experience with the SRW wheels on the front of a dually? Any pics? I may go with a slightly larger tire as well but not sure, trying to counter my 4.10 axle gearing.

2. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

There's a dude running around town with a late 2nd Gen with a 16x8 Eagle 589 on the front and the Classic Dually on the rear which he did for the sand.
    Personally I don't care for it. Looks like someone cloning a dually. Have you seen the SSR 35x10.50x16? Thats what I'm running on the rear and a 12.50 on the front so I can get rid of the spacers. There is no problem with the spacers. I just don't care to have the truck that wide in the rear.
    BTW I didn't know you lived that close to the Getto to want BLING, BLING wheels like that rotfl rotfl :pimp: :rolleyes: .

3. willyswanter

Media:
    I gotta keep up with all the soccer moms and there superduties rotfl

4. DWitcher

Yeah whats up with all the Super Duties and the 20-22in wheels on 38's.
    Damn GETTO FABOULASS trend. :pimp:

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You want to make your Dually look like an SRW? :doah: I love the way a set of Alcoas looks on a dually, especially the front. :doah:

I don't see a problem with your plan mechanically speaking....looks are another thing. :D :poke:

You'll probably be suprised to hear this from me but I can't stand the new Weld EVO's. THey look like Gang banger rims. If it was me I would consider the good 'ol Super Single series that made Weld so popular. I do also like the new Torque lock, but thats about it.

The KORE setup is sweet.

6. willyswanter

Media:
    No, the rear will still be dually. I just want to convert the front axle to a SRW style front axle so I can run a normal style rim in the front. It will be a dually rim in the back and a regular rim in the front. Like this:

[​IMG]

But of course no lift, and alot smaller tires...

As far as wheel choices, the problem is there are very very very few dually rim options out there. Especially when you need it to match a regular rim of the same manuf. I think the EVO's are the only one weld makes that matches one of it's regular wheels.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I understood what you were saying. SOunds like the rim choices have you stuck between a rock and a hard spot. :doah:

8. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    So are you going to make yourself some spacers for the back or do the Kore wheels have the right offset to run 315s?

9. willyswanter

Media:
    The core wheels have the correct offset, but they are waaaaaaaay expensive as in $500 a piece :eek:

I'll probably make a steel spacer or run a narrower tire. I just through that size up because it's the first size I saw listed on 4wp's site. I'm just looking for 34-35" tall in an all terain to help my 4.10 gears out a bit and to fill out those massive fenders. I'm not worried about tire selection at the moment, just trying to figure out wheels :eek:

10. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Cool, I was trying to find something halfway affordable to run a 35" tire without a spacer for the same reason - 4.10s suck on the freeway... Not willing to spend that kind of dough though so I'll probably end up with spacers too.

11. DWitcher

Again: Have you thought about the SSR 35x10.50x16 tires? ;)

12. willyswanter

Media:
    I don't want swampers or 16's. Hell I don't even think 16's fit on the back...

13. DWitcher

Well put some 19.5's on it then. :stir:

14. willyswanter

Media:
    Ewwwwwww :eek:

Oh hey, thanks for that Gear Vendors, it's working great in my truck :stir:

J/K, but I'll finally have time to work on it after this weekend.

15. DWitcher

Well at least SOMEBODY is getting some use out of it. rotfl rotfl
    Ok. Take your time. Like I said before I'm not pushing do get it done. Make sure to use it to get ideas from and build yours. waytogo
    BTW I guess your not down with full size truck wheels then huh. :pimp: