oddball engine combos

Discussion in 'Other Tow Rigs' started by MNorby, Apr 6, 2005.

1. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
  2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Haven't seen that, it's different. :pimp:

3. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    The two stroke detroit is always in the back of my mind for an engine swap instead of doing the 4bt like im shooting for. But, the cummins always makes more sense from the logical standpoint, which is why thats what i will most likely end up with.

I love oddball rigs, one of my dreams for after college is to build a 73-87 GM Crew Cab with a 6V-71 twin turbo detroit with all the marine goodies on it. Back it with my choise of manual tranny and a divorced NP205. Would make for one hell of a tow rig, to bad i know its something that would most likely NEVER happen, but hey, a guy can dream, right?

4. astevenson

astevenson Active Member

Media:
    We have a few yard trucks for jockying semi trailers around that have that same engine in it. The strangest engine combo I have seen was some kind of a I beleive isuzu straight 6 diesel engine in a 76 ford f-250. A freind of mine had it sitting in a feld. I beleive he said it needed a head gasket of a glow plug to make it run. Of course I never heard it run and he sold it for like $500 I don't know where it went from there.

5. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    He likes the detroits he also has a CHEVY 3500HD WITH 6V-53 DETROIT in his photos

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I have seen 350 chevys in Izu's dont remmember the tranny.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 Well-Known Member

4l80-e tranny for auto. aslong as its 91 and newer.

8. Jimbo*

Jimbo* Member

Don't have any pics, but I have a friend who runs old International 1-ton 4x4 truck on his ranch; all powered by 4-53 detroits. Virtually indestructable.
    Have another friend(hell of a frabricator) who shoehorned a cat 3208 with a 5 speed allison into an 81 chevy crewcab dually; looked like GM built it that way.
    Jimbo

9. mbryson

mbryson Well-Known Member

PICS!!! We need pics

10. 427HemiPontiac

427HemiPontiac Active Member

I saw some pictures on the net of a 92-99 Suburban with a Cummins diesel out of a Dodge truck in it. Nice fit. I could live with that....

11. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy when I was a Detroit Diesel mechanic back in the 70's that put a 3-53 in a brand new F-250. It had a 4 sp trans and an air shifted overdrive unit. This thing screamed and had a 4" exhaust pipe coming out in front of the left rear wheel. You could hear him grabbing gears blocks away.
    He had pictures of the conversion showing that he removed the entire front of the truck to pull the gas engine and auto transmission. The 3-53 came off a genset and he changed the govenor for highway use. He did the conversion in Alaska and then drove it to Virginia with a slide in camper and 25' cargo trailer loaded to the top.
    In the mountains he noticed that the engine was blowing black smoke out the exhaust so he stopped and ran the rack and valves. It continued to smoke excessivly and then he realized that at his elevation there wasn't enough air. Other than that he had no problems with the trip.

His favorite thing to do to show off this truck was to nose up to a tree in low direct and get out while the engine idled and the tires turned slowly.
    Top speed was 72mph.

I first saw this truck in the parking lot when a buddy and I returned from lunch one afternoon. That big exhaust pipe caught my eye and about that time he came out and we started talking. He opened the hood and I was in awe, that 3-53 had a chromed valve cover and just shined. When he cranked it I almost crapped myself, what a sweet sound.

In 1974 I moved on and lost contact with the truck and it's owner.

Old-Trucker

12. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

There's a guy in town here that has a 70's 1 ton 2wd dually GMC with a 4-71 DD. It makes the typical niose, smoke , & leaks of a true Detroit.:stir:

13. Tow M88

Tow M88 Member

That is just too bad.

14. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Active Member

Media:
    I'd love to see a pic of that truck.

15. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

I can see it in my mind but that doesn't help on the forum. It was red with white trim and that big chrome exhaust pipe in front of the drivers rear wheel. He said that he put the exhaust there so he could listen to that Jimmy sing...and it sure did!

16. mossertrucking

mossertrucking Well-Known Member

2000 superduty crew cab longbox with a n-14 cummins twins fuller eaton 9 spd scs tranfer case 2 1/2 to rockwells 35 in tires 6in stacks ranchhand bumpers frt and rear all black body windows rims etc. :stir: waytogo

17. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Active Member

Media:
    MUST HAVE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. 2Dogs

2Dogs Member

oops

Wrong place - DOH!

19. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

Jeg's order just showed up...

Got the BOP plate to put the Olds 455 in my Sub today... got a free hat, stickers, and a catalog.

They even sent the kids some toys... 2 boxes and a whole buncha bubble wrap. That's customer service!

20. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid Member

There was a guy who worked for Interstate Detroit Diesel in Bismark ND in the late 70's who put a 4-53 into a pickup. I saw it run many years ago.
    George