Power wagon as tow rig?

Discussion in 'Dodge Gas Engine Rigs' started by clarkjw24, Jun 20, 2005.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 Well-Known Member

Media:
    What do yall think about using the new powerwagon as a tow rig? I've been pulling with borrowed Powerstrokes and really need something of my own. Would the hemi get decent enough gas milage? The trails I frequent are less than 80 miles away. I would love to have a Crewcab dually powerstoke but I'm really likeing the powerwagon for its own trail capability. I figure the wife and kids could follow me up most trails because they don't feel safe or comfortable in my K5. Its under $40,000 so its still less than a new powerstroke. I also could use a dependable DD because my dd K5 has been begging for mods. :D Or should I buy a used 1ton diesel with tons of miliage and use it? Let me hear it guys.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Is the Powerwagon a good tow rig? Yes. It is a 3/4 ton with plenty of wheel base. How well will it tow and how good of mileage? I don't know. I would bet mileage isn't all that great with that truck anyway, since it's heavy and has bigger tires than the standard 3/4 model. Gas mileage would likely be in single digits pulling a 1 ton K5 on a decently HD trailer.

I would probably skip the Powerwagon since it's too nice to wheel (it's in the same catagory as the hummer IMHO, very capable but too expensive to ACTUALLY wheel). Why bother with a Powerstroke?.....and look for an used late 2nd gen Cummins Dodge dually or even a 3rd gen if you don't mind paying more. Regardless, an used Cummins Dually will be cheaper than a Powerwagon thats brand new, and tow a heck of a lot better while getting 14-15mpg loaded.

For what a powerwagon costs brand new you could get a clean decent mileage late 2nd gen or 3rd gen Cummins dually and have money left over to "mod" your 2nd K5. ;)

3. clarkjw24

Media:
    I know your a cummins man but if I was gonna buy, I'd prob stick with the 7.3 powerstroke 6 speed. I use to borrow my old mans until he got rid of it. It was 2wd, crewcab dually, 7.3 powerstroke, 6 speed manny and it got 22mpg towing in the mountains. I loved that truck. My paw inlaw had an 02 cummins dually 4x4 and I wasn't impressed but I hear that they've improved them since. Don't think I'm taking sides because I'm diehard chevy but I'm pretty sure that I don't want a HD. I guess I was just trying to justify a reason to buy the powerwagon but the gas milage would prob suck. In another year or so I hope to be able to haul my junk westward and wheel at BB. BTW if I did get a powerwagon I would definately wheel it, its like having a supermodel girlfriend and saying I can wait until we're married.

4. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    22mpg while towing in the mountains? :rolleyes: Might want to check that odometer, cause there is no way your PSD is gettin 22mpg in the mountains, towing or not.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, Ford or Dodge, it doesn't matter, both are great. But....we all know what the king of grunt is.... :D I'm not a big fan of brand new vehicles, they are so expensive and can be had for so much cheaper after just a few thousand miles.

The Pwagon is a cool truck but too expensive for my taste.

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I was kind of thinking the same thing.

7. TARussell

TARussell Well-Known Member

From what I have seen the motor in the PW's is only strong when wound up tight high in the RPM range - High RPM power and a soggy bottom end power range does not equal a happy pulling truck. The truck comes with 4.56 gearing due to the larger tires and the fact that it needs the help from a higher numerical gear in such a heavy truck.
    I am not trying to rain on your parade or sway you to one truck or another - just trying to help you make an informed decision before you spend that kind of money and it does not pull like you would expect it to.
    HTH , Tom

8. clarkjw24

Media:
    East coast mountains guys. Lock Haven P.A. to McBee S.C. 22mpg towing 32ft camper. Done it many times. To go to my local mountain wheeling trails in N.C. its 180 miles round trip. Cost me $16 in fuel or if you want 8 gallons of diesel, or as I said 22mpg. Remember now its the 1999 7.3 powerstroke turbo, 6 speed manual tranny, hypertech programed and 2wd. My brother in-law has the same truck but 4wd and auto tranny but only gets 15mpg towing. He lurks on this forum and could vouch for it. He's the one that tows me now. He doesn't mind as long as I pay for fuel and he gets shotgun on the trails. It really doesn't matter now because my dad got rid of the truck but if I bought used I'd have to get something with the same setup.

Now back to the topic. The powerwagon was built for offroaders, or thats what they say, I was just wondering about its towing capabilities and practicality of using it as a short distance tow rig. Maybe I just daydream too much and read to many magazines........I would still love to have one.

9. clarkjw24

Media:
    Alot of people didn't believe me, until they took a trip and could see the milage read-out themselves. If I run into the guy that bought it, I'll snap a picture of the mpg display for you. ;) I'll leave it at that, because I've got no reason to lie and don't like to argue. Heres a pic of the truck.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, this has kind of gone the wrong way...it would be a fine tow rig. It IS a 3/4 ton truck. It just won't have the power of a diesel, thats all. It would be fine for a short trip tow rig, especially since it's long trips that really make the cost difference in fuel with a diesel.

11. clarkjw24

Media:
    Now thats a question I have. What does a hemi feel like? Does it scream give me more pedal? I'ved towed with gas and diesel and there is a big difference. People talk up the hemi but once you put something behind any gas motor it sings a different song. I guess I could go drive one, but I doubt they'll let me test drive it with the trailer and K5.

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I've driven a 2wd 1/2ton Hemi Ram......it is a torquey engine but I didn't feel it was all that strong. My 85 K5 could probably run right with it, and it weighs another 1K with crappy gears.

I would imagine it would be fairly gutless in a big heavy Power Wagon. Infact, Fourwheeler mentioned that the truck was lean on power when they tested it. They were wishing for a Cummins under the hood....I'd have to concur...

13. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I think it would be a fine tow rig. It obviously wouldnt go up hills as fast as a diesel, but it is a 3/4 ton and the Hemi does make good power. You would probably get 11-13mpg empty and like 7 towing. It would definatly be reliable and pretty comfy for a long trip. I think for use as only a tow rig, you could get a truck that would perform better, but for a DD/wheeler/towrig it sounds like it would be fine. Just plan on spending alot for fuel. Thats just my $.02 waytogo

-Brent

14. TARussell

TARussell Well-Known Member

The Hemi motor does make "good" power but the problem is where it makes that power at . I am not comparing the PW to a diesel equiped truck - what I am saying is that the motor is not strong at lower RPM's and that makes for a poor performing tow rig when loaded no matter how short of a trip is planned.
    I don't mean to sound negative but I do believe the power band of the motor is an issue and important to the main question being asked.
    Tom

15. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I do agree but I do also think the Hem puts out enough power to get the job done.

16. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    My friends dad is very dissapointed in his hemi powered 3/4 ton. According to him his old 360 towed better, and got about the same fuel economy when loaded. He is currently looking to sell his hemi and either buy another 360 powered truck, or a diesel.

17. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

I definatly agree the old 360 was a much better towing motor, the hemi is more fun to drive but dosent have the low end that you need when you get in big hills. I drove a half ton hemi for a year and did a lot of towing with it, I couldnt keep up with the bigger trucks in the hills but everywhere else I was fine. The power wagon will do just fine for what you want to do. I wouldnt buy one if I was ganna haul coast to coast ten times a year but for the accasional trip itll get the job done. Pluss when u get the trail rig stuck you can take the powerwagon in and pull it out;)

18. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I thinkthe new Hemi would work great unless you were planning on hauling your K5 every weekend then it might be anouther story.

19. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Kinda a old subject but what where the numbers quoted by Dodge and at what RPM.

20. fairlane_68

fairlane_68 Member

I don't know about your area, but that's what I was looking for recently before I bought what I have now. I gave up looking for a 7.3 with a manual tranny---or a Cummins 5.9 with a manual---when I began to realize that people run the dog sh!+ out of them, beat them into the ground, and then dump them off in a trade for a new vehicle, and repeat the process. Every truck I looked at looked great on Craigslist or Cars.com, but in person they looked like they had been hauled up from the bottom of the river. I finally settled on a '07 Dodge 2500 with the 5.7L Hemi. I'm very happy with it.