Snow Packed Air Filter Advice

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by prairie, Dec 21, 2008.

1. prairie

prairie New Member

Need advice on aftermarket air filters for a 2005 F-550 4x4 6.0 Diesel.
    Must be easy to check/clean/replace. Any improved performance would be bonus.

This is my chore truck and have been plowing through snow and busting drifts to get the cows fed. The previous three winters I have had no problems. This snow is dry and fluffy, winds of 25-40 mph, with temps mostly below zero. Lots of snow in the air, even without busting drifts.

Several times in the last three days my air filter has been packed with snow. The engine has continued to run fine, but this is no weather to take a chance of being stranded, offroad in a field, several miles away from any help.

The "check air filter" and "water in fuel" warnings came on and have not gone away. I really doubt the "water in fuel" warning. Could the moisture coming through the air filter cause this? Have taken the air filter out and dried it on the furnace vents in the house, but the warnings stay on.

Getting the filter in and out is a royal PIA:mad:. Even the guys at the local repair shop had problems when it first happened. I've taken it in and out three times myself since then, what a inconvenient piece of #$%* setup!!!!

Will see about a new filter tomorrow. Do not really want to buy a new OEM style filter if i can limp along with my current one. I will be most likely replacing the whole air filter system with a more convenient aftermarket setup.

Thanks