Synthetics...?

Discussion in 'Oils and Lubricants' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 Well-Known Member

Media:
    What synthetics oils are you running in your rig, where, and how do you like them? My 24v is already on 5w40 Delvac Synthetic but I will probably change to a different brand next change. I need to figure out what brand and why. I am going to switch the whole truck over to synthetic so I want to hear what has worked for you. I have experience with Redline gear oil and really like it in my K5 offroad truck.

What oils should I run in the 24V, NV4500, NP241HD, D60, and D80 L/S?

I am thinking that I will run Redline Shockproof Light synthetic in my diffs or should I just use the Heavy weight like I have in
    my K5? Thanks

The truck is all stock and doesn't see alot of heavy towing yet. It will be towing 7000lbs around several times a month during the summers but nothing heavy beside that.

Harley

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  2. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    I called redline about running Shockproof in my diffs, and they said it is not designed for street vehicles, to use the other gear oils that they make. They said Shockproof is not designed for longevity, simply the best protection possible for race and track vehicles.

Marc

3. Hossbaby50

Media:
    That is good information. My K5 doesn't see what most consider "street use" so that isn't a consern. The CTD is though so I may just use there standard synthetic.

Harley

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I run 15W-40 HD synthetic Amsoil diesel oil in my CTD, Amsoil universal synthetic ATF in my new BOMBed 47RE, and Mobile 1 75-90w synthetic gear oil in my rear D70. I plan on changing the front D60 oil to Amsoil 75W-90 and changing the power steering fluid to Amsoil synthetic.

The only reason I am running Mobile 1 in my D70 is because it was free (already had it) and I wasn't an Amsoil dealer yet.

Redline is a great oil, but is expensive and doesn't have as many varieties of oil as Amsoil.

Mobile 1 is also a good synthetic, not as good as Redline, Royal Purple, and Amsoil....but it's cheaper and is reallly....good enough for most applications.

I reccommend Amsoil for everything in your truck.

IIRC, you are or were in a very cold climate. I reccommend Amsoil 5-30W HD diesel oil.
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx

You should definantly be running an additive in the fuel as an anti gel and lubricity formula to help protect your VP44. Amsoil diesel fuel concentrate is great for this, as is Stanadyne. I don't think Redline makes a diesel additive (like I said, smaller variety of products).
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/adc.aspx

I reccommend Amsoil standard trans gear oil, it contains an extreme pressure additive that the NV4500 requires, suprisingly enough the larger NV5600 6 spd does not require this same pressure additive.
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx

As far as the transfer case...honestly I'm not real sure. I am 95% sure it calls for ATF, but would consider the first link, thenAmsoil ATF.
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tcc.aspx
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

In the Diffs I reccommend plain old Amsoil syn. 75W-90 gear oil.waytogo
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx

5. Hossbaby50

Media:
    What about the severe gear oil that amsoil sells? Is it better then the standard syn. gear oil? I know you are a dealer can you PM me some prices on this stuff. Would I get a better price if I ordered more at once? It is what I have been thinking about running in my truck. Thanks

Harley

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I simply like the long life version because it's cheaper. Really, it's plenty. It doesn't sound like you plan on putting the truck through really rigorous use so I probably would just go with the Long Life it was me. That is what I plan on using in my D60, and D70 when I decide the Mobile 1 has enough miles on it.

It's completely up to you if you want to spend the extra money for the added extreme pressure additive or not. I honestly don't think it's really neccessary in your application. Lets put it this way, both oils provide 10 times more protection than the dyno oil the factory uses, and I know many people that have never had any rear end problems at 200-300K, do tow, and have never changed their rear end oil.

If a rear end can stand that, The standard LL Amsoil gear oil should be overkill as it is IMHO.

7. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I run Rotella in my DMax, with Mobile in the diffs. <shrug> I think most any "quality" brand is enough for typical uses, including reasonable towing.

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Agreed, dyno oil has proved to somewhat be enough for most applications....so you're ahead of the game with any synthetic.

9. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

I'm with RJF. I run AMSOIL in every vehicle I own.

I lost a motor in my Corvette Z06 while running Mobil 1 15w50 back in July 2003, then spent a lot of time educating myself about oils. After reviewing dozens of independent lab tests, and hundreds of used oil analysis reports, I came to my personal conclusion that AMSOIL and Redline where the top two choices. Like RJF, I chose AMSOIL partially due to its varied product line that I could use in all my vehicles, not just my Vette.

A sample of these tests can be found on this page of my dealer website:
    AMSOIL Performance Tests

I personally run the
    AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil in my F350, the
    AMSOIL Series 2000 20w50 in my Vette which sees exclusive track use, and the
    AMSOIL XL Synthetic 5w30 in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer.

Some other things to consider when pondering the various synthetic oils on the market:
    All synthetics are not equal. The API has not come out and defined what is "synthetic", but rather, classified oils into five major groups.

Group I base oils are the least refined of all of the groups. They are usually a mix of different hydrocarbon chains with little or no uniformity. While some automotive oils use these stocks, they are generally used in less demanding applications.

Group II base oils are common in mineral based motor oils. They have fair to good performance in the areas of volatility, oxidation stability, wear prevention and flash/fire points. They have only fair performance in areas such as pour point and cold crank viscosity. Group II base stocks are what the majority of engine oils are made from. 3000 mile oil changes are the norm.

Group III base oils are subjected to the highest level of refining of all the mineral oil stocks. Although not chemically engineered, they offer improved performance in a wide range of areas as well as good molecular uniformity and stability. By definition they are considered a synthesized material and can be used in the production of synthetic and semi-synthetic lubricants. Group III is used in the vast majority of full synthetics or synthetic blends. They are superior to group I and II oils but still have limitations. Some formulations are designed for extended oil changes. AMSOIL XL Motor Oils, Castrol Syntec and many others fall into this category.

Group IV are polyalphaolefins (PAO) which are a chemically engineered synthesized basestocks. PAOs offer excellent stability, molecular uniformity and performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. AMSOIL SAE Synthetic Motor Oils and Mobil 1 primarily use group IV basestocks. PAO is a much more expensive basestock than the highly refined petroleum oil basestock of Group III.

Group V base oils are also chemically engineered stocks that do not full into any of the categories previously mentioned. Typical examples of group V stocks are Esters, polyglycols and silicone. Redline uses an ester basestock.

In the 90s, Mobil filed suit against Castrol for falsely advertising Syntec oil as synthetic, when in fact it contained a Group III, highly hydroprocessed mineral (Dino) oil, instead of a chemically synthesized (group IV or V) basestock. Due to the amount that the mineral oil had been chemically changed, the judge decided in Castrol's favor. As a result, any oil containing this highly hydroprocessed mineral (Dino) oil (currently called Group III basestock by the American Petroleum Institute) can market themselves as a synthetic oil. Since the original synthetic basestock (polyalphaolefin or PAO) is much more expensive than the Group III basestock, most of the oil blenders switched to the Group III basestock, which significantly increased their profit margins.

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Hossbaby,

I just noticed you have a D80 with the limited slip (you lucky guy). With this in mind I would reccommend the Severe Gear version because it contains the required GL5 additive for the L/S. Also, we can go with the Torque drive ATF like what is found in the Allisons and other medium duty autos. It is slightly thicker and Amsoil reccommends it over universal ATF ONLY when the NP241 has a PTO port, which yours should since you said it's an HD version.

If you choose to go ahead and order everything I can list the capacities of all your reservoirs throughout the truck so you can save money and not do the "more than enough is better just in case" thing. We can get you the exact amounts.waytogo

11. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    The Severe Gear has an Extreme Pressure additive formulated into the oil to give a higher film stregth when used in applications that have high load rates, like small gears that see heavy loads and high hp (kinda like our trucks). I use it in both axles, and on my 03 saw about .5 mpg increase. As for the rest, well Amsoil ATF in Trans and x case, can't beat it. Engine, believe it or not but the high performance crowd has more to gain from the 5w-30 than anything.
    1 the oil has a lower viscosity yeilding in less drag on moving parts
    2 the oil has a higher film strength due to better base stock design
    3 the oil has a flatter viscosity change

All this means the oil yeilds better mileage, more power, less wear and more protection.
    I plan to run my shop truck in the 700+ range and Amsoil is the only oil you'll find in my truck.

12. john12121

john12121 Member

Synthetic oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids and a system of additives to help prevent wear, keep an engine clean, flow easily, maintain viscosity, prevent rust and reduce friction....I always use Amsoil which is little pricey, but very quality product.

13. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

What about Lucas?