Tandem dually or triple singles

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Bootlegger, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Justice

Justice Well-Known Member

Media:
    As for the Illinois toll issue. It is stupid how much more it is. At the Rockford toll on 90/39 it is 2.85 to go thru with my dually goose neck. 5 something with the tri axle. And the one on 88 is 4 sumthing with a dually and 9.50 with the tri.

2. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

PJ trailers are the preferred trailers of most hotshot ltl haulers.

www.ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org

3. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

Mr. Big Ram is trying to sell a trailer that you may want to look at. Good price and it looks brand new. It is under tow rigs and trailers for sale. Check it out. I wanted it but the wife says no I have too many now.

LT.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I like my tri axle goose. I can turn just fine and with brakes on all 3 axles, I can stop just fine too.

You have to remember also that if you need the weight capacity of twin 12K dual wheel axles, then you need to be pulling this trailer with a Kodiak, F450-550, or Ram 4500/5500. Any of the 1 ton series trucks from any brand is techincally too small for that kind of weight.

I never feel the need for twin duals under my goose, I can easily overload my 3/4t SRW anyday, just with the carrying capacity of the triples.

Another thing about triples, especially us guys with shorter trailers (20'-26'??) is that you are spreading the weight out across a longer distance, instead of inward like the duals do. This makes the trailer feel more stable to me, especially when you are on a bumpy road. The triples nearly eliminate the "pogo stick" feeling that you can get from tandems under a long trailer with lots of tongue weight.

Here's a pic of my rig, you can see how the triples spread the weight long ways much better. It may not seem like it would make much of a difference, but I shure can feel the difference when pulling each style of trailer.
    [​IMG]

5. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

The only problem that I can see with a triple axled trailer is that in some states, California for instance, if you have more than two axles on a trailer you will need to pull into every weigh station. Not that it is really a problem just a hassle.

LT.

6. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

As long as you have a "pick up style" bed and tailgate on your truck, you do not have to pull into a Cali. scalehouse at the present time, doesn't matter what you have on the trailer or how many axles are under it.

7. forcerecon0

forcerecon0 Member

i have both and properly maintained i have had very few problems with either one

8. westbound73

westbound73 Active Member

i use an 18,000 lb single wheel tri axle to pull my dozer behind my 2002 dodge 2500 4x4 and it pulls like a dream. i think the tri axle carries the weight, and balances much better than a dually.

9. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

Nice!! waytogo I had a triple axle trailer under my 24' boat. It looked good but wasn't necessary, the boat and trailer only weighed 5000lbs.

10. surprise

surprise Member

I'm in the tri-axle camp except when trying to make tight turns in thick mud. Much better if you want to keep your pin weight from getting excessive. You can still overload your pickup, but still not as bad. The braking is better, having 50% more brakes, and it tracks better in the rain.
    If your trailer matches your pickup, then no need to carry a spare for each, though that is wiser.

11. opcruzer

opcruzer Member

I also agree with the triple spreading weight compared to a tandem, I feel the triple pulls easier empty and I have pulled 3-4 of each kind and from 4-5 mfg's. We have 3 PJ trailers and they are very popular in SD and IA even though they are made in Texas.