Torsion axles vs leaf springs

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by az-k5, Jun 8, 2007.

1. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

I just go a used trailer. 18 ft 7k flatbed car hauler. It has torsion axles on it. Are those a plus, minus, just another option? I am not looking to swap them out, just have no experience with them. They seem kinda neat from what I have been reading on them.

My main concern is durability.

Matt

2. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

the torsion axles are only better if you need axle articulation. they do help a little at keeping your trailer more level over side to side bumps but thats it. I didnt see the expense worthyness for my trailers.Yes they are as durable as long as you dont overload the trailer (which is bad for leafsprings too)

3. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

Okay, the durability is my only concern.

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

They should be fine.

5. SouthwestWheel

SouthwestWheel Member

Torsion axles will last forever as long as you dont overload them. They are generally more up front cost, but you will have less metal to metal wear in the long run. No changing of springs, hangers, and ubolts. Comparing the ride is like comparing apples and oranges. The rubber cartridge in the axles will obsorb much of the the roads vibrations.

6. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

Bringing this back up.

How can I tell what rating the axles have. The trailer seems to squat a lot more than the leaf spring car haulers I have used.

7. SouthwestWheel

SouthwestWheel Member

The bearing numbers will tell you the load rating. If it is using a l68149 inner and l44649 outer it is rated for 3,500 lbs. If it is using a 25580 as an inner and is six hole this is a 5,200 lbs. and if it is 7,000 lbs. it will be an eight hole. Hope this helps.

8. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

Sweet that is money. It is a 5 lug so I know it is 3,500 or less. Fully loaded I think I am around #6800 combined. I need to drag it to the scales sometime.