Tranny question

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by FishingRig, Jul 14, 2009.

1. FishingRig

FishingRig Active Member

My dad has a 99 dodge cummins 2500. He pulls a small center console boat and a 32 14000lb camper. His trans is starting to give up. He does have an edge box otherwise the truck is stock. My question is should he buy an aftermarket trans or have someone rebuild this one. What are all of his options. Thanks.

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Wouldn't hurt to compare price/options of a nice aftermarket trans against a compentant local builder, really depends on how hard he is on it and how long he plans on keeping his truck etc..

3. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    In my opinion, it seems best to buy stronger parts so that they don't break again... typically performance parts are not too much more than stock replacement parts and you will get much greater benefit from the performance parts than just a stock rebuild.

4. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Either way you need to upgrade. You need to look at the local rebuilder and find out how they build. If there are 12 hondas out front and not a pick up to be found I don't think you want that guy building you a towing transmission. Where might you be located?

We build in house, so based on what we typically build, I would -

BD Flexplate
    Billet triple disc converter
    Upgraded Valve Body
    Billet input shaft
    Mag hytec trans pan

This would be a solid, stout unit that will allow you to use more of your power while towing and while not. It covers all the bases of typical failure points. Yes, its more expensive than a standard rebuild but that depends on what you base the price off of. What I just listed is about $600 more than dodge to give you another stock unit. . . . .