What Diesel engine would you want for pulling a grade?

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by CK5, Apr 4, 2005.

?

What Diesel engine would you choose pulling grade at 75MPH?

1. Ford PSD 6.0

54 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Dodge Cummins 5.9/6.0

282 vote(s)
    67.1%
  3. GM Duramax 6.6

84 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

built in mexico assembled in USA:stir:

split hairs one time :eek:

2. davidc32707

davidc32707 Member

Media:
    what ever man i dont think so cause the duramax an powerstroke diesels are american made diesels an the same with the cummins theres like a few parts that come from mexico an other countrys but what ever man

3. TejasCTD

TejasCTD New Member

so is it duramax or cummins?

DMAXRIG, you have been touting the dmax throughout the thread, but your "perfect truck" has a CTD in a Ford chassis? Is the only thing you like about the dmax the tranny?

The question was which engine, irregardless of the platform.

So, is it a dmax or a CTD?

4. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Is the only thing I like about the Dmax the tranny? No. I love the Duramax engine. Ive had a Cummins before, but have liked the way the Duramax perfroms better. While I like the GM the best, comfort wise and apperance which is all just prefrence, I would rather have a solid front axle rather than IFS. I do like the Fords for that reason, but I guess Dodge would be good for that reason also. I guess if I could actually build my perfect truck, it would be a GMC with a solid front axle, Allison transmission, and engine........I could go either way! Cummins or Duramax. I love both. Cummins for the pure grunt and low end torque which is awesome off road. The Duramax is a gorilla when it comes to hauling a load down the road, incredible! But I guess if I had to answer the question on which engine Id prefer, based on experience with both, Id have to say Duramax.

5. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

Cummins , because I know it will pull those grades for hundreds of thousands of miles. It may not pull the hills the fastest but it will pull them the Longest

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Very true words there.

7. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

ok first of all I AM A FLATLANDER! so a 5% grade is pretty good to me

however last week I took a load of cattle to Indiana and had to pull Mont Eagle with 3K worth of trailer, 7.5k of trailer, and +- 11k of cattle went up in 6th gear with lug from 70 mph down to 65 mph

I love my Dodge

all of it except fuel milage:eek:

One day we will be able to order a truck with what motor and trans mission we want kinda like Large Cars!

8. RockRig

RockRig Member

After dragging 12k+ out to moab and back (6,000 miles), I have to vote for the dmax/ally combo.

It has to be the most comfy long haul setup I've ever driven and it pulls like a bastid in the mountains.

9. yellowk20

I yanked 21,000 lbs out to Moab dropped my Fifth wheel and did Hells Revenge and Fins n Things bone stock other than My H2 tires and wheels I don't see to many IFS trucks doing that
    Chevy/GMC makes very nice comfortable trucks with awesome power and the ally is a good trans but the there just not good for the kinda driving I do

10. RockRig

RockRig Member

Where are the pics of you climbing out of the hot tubs in that beast?

Here's how I like to play in moab :)
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of how big the BIG hot tub.
    [​IMG]

An even bigger climb near Escalator on Hell's Revenge
    [​IMG]

11. mattwehrly

mattwehrly Active Member

hey ya'll. I'm coming in late but thought I'd drop my .02. I have a 06 chevy with the duramaxLBZ. I haul loads of hay all summer. Usual load is about 26,000 lbs. I have hauled it with a 92 cummings,04 cummings, 05 6.0LPSD and my 06 duramax. STOCK my chevy pulls the best. cruise control set at 75mph and off we go with the AC on. The 04 cummings pulls pretty darn good also. Wasn't to impressed with the PSD and the older cummings jsut couldn't keep up with traffic. I looked at the dodge real hard but don't like the weak auto that is available and shifting 6 gears in town with the manual isn't much fun. The 6.0 powerjoke with its 45+ recalls wasn't even a option. so I bought the chevy and am really happy with the way it pulls. I think the cummings is a very tough durable motor and when paired with a decent trannie will be the one to beat. Also the cummings is available in the ford power stroke in the F450/550. Does that say something about the 6.0l. Whats a built in america truck any more? dodge is german, the duramax is ISUZU. Toyota is built in tennessee. Is it american? Forget the american/ Forein crap and buy the truck that fits your needs.

12. yellowk20

rotfl No hot tubs or escalator for this truck!! I Usually wheel a 75 short bed stepside cheby But My hubs and crossover steering didn't come in time to get it put back together for Moab so We Just Loaded up the ToyBox with Quads and camping gear and My buddies TJ on 37" MTR's On a tow Bar behind the fifthwheel and Hauled ass!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Heres my Moab rig This is an old Pic back when it was a half ton on 35" BFG/MT's it has a 60/14bolt combo with Sm465/NV241 detoits on both ends 5.13's 38" boggers and a Fuel Injected 406

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RockRig

RockRig Member

nice looking half ton... I love old school short bed pickups.

Just a few more pics from my Moab trip. This in from Upper Helldorado in Area BFE.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

its cummins, not cummings

15. cummins_47re

cummins_47re Member

With the older Cummins 02 and down they wouldnt pull that fast. Flat bed trailer or house it would tow/pull at the same speed. Even my 03 really doesnt have much to it. Slow. Good torque but not great and dont get me started on the low hp. All the new 600ftlbs diesels blow by me and not to metion every guy in a chevy from a 1500 to a 3500 trys to race me and yes most of the time the win. I know it sounds like im trashing Dodge/Cummins. Im not. Im happy with my truck:D , just wish it had a little more! But for the poll i think what year of diesel not which brand haha Cuz the early one wouldnt get up the grade that fast. Stock that is.

16. 9612vcummins

9612vcummins Member

Ctd

while all the newer diesels are up for the task I think I would still have to pick the cummins simply since it is an inline motor I mean how many semi trucks have you seen with some sort of v motor?

17. gone camping

gone camping Well-Known Member

Media:
    Cummins 6.7Lwaytogo

18. PC HOTROD

PC HOTROD Member

19. Bakertransport

Bakertransport New Member

Brand wars

I have a trucking business in Colorado. I have ran powerstroke, duramax, and cummins. My current truck is a CTD. It does an awesome job pulling here in the mountains.

20. CumminsKing72

CumminsKing72 Member

I would choose my first gen Cummins, it may take it a while to get to 75 mph but once its there, there's no stopping it. Ive personally seen and driven it towing more than 12,000 lbs and its only a 3/4 ton pick up. until ive experienced another engine pulling an equivalent load i would choose the CTD