What Diesel engine would you want for pulling a grade?

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by CK5, Apr 4, 2005.

?

What Diesel engine would you choose pulling grade at 75MPH?

1. Ford PSD 6.0

54 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Dodge Cummins 5.9/6.0

282 vote(s)
    67.1%
  3. GM Duramax 6.6

84 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. JNelson

JNelson Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yo may beat to the next light or maybe even to the top of the hill. But at 600,000 miles when Im changing my oil, you'll be on your 2nd or 3rd truck.burnout

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Nice, I ran that trail at night and it is a challenge thats for sure!

3. tosch88

tosch88 Active Member

Gotta go with the Cummins, had a 01 HO six speed. Great truck sold it with about 140,000 on it. 02 D-Max, loved the Ally trans, blew the head gasket at 16,000 miles, couple injectors went at 30,000 sold the truck at 31,000 miles. Nice truck though, pulled better than the 01 H.O. both in stock form. Still have my 2000 7.3 Powerstroke with the auto. Haven't had any problems with it, just turned 223,000 miles. I wouldn't recommend it for heavy loads but she'll get the job done. 06 Cummins Auto, pulled great, out pull the Ford but not my D-Max or 01 H.O. Sold it for a 07 6.7 Chassis Cab, not sure if that was a good idea :confused: My new 6.7 six speed hand shaker out pulls any of my previous trucks hands down, 54k on the ODO we'll see about reliability of this engine. My comparison is with all of my trucks in stock form. Although you can't really compare auto's to manual's but these are the vehicles that I've owned and have pulled with commercially. They're all good trucks just depends how you intend to use them as to which vehicle will suit your needs. Just my .02 centswaytogo

4. 97fltbed

97fltbed Member

Have to go with experience.

I would definitely have to go with a Cummins. Since I started pulling heavy loads all I've known was Cummins. I out pulled a 01 Powerstroke with a 2000 Tundra. So I haven't even bothered with fords since then (I did own a 96 F-150 for about 5 years and I do miss that truck). There are three Cummins trucks in our family along with one Duramax (which absolutely hauls the mail when empty) and a Powerstroke. The Dmax and Pstroke seem to have their annual massive break downs. I also live in a mainly agricultural area, every one has Cummins trucks. The service mechanic down the road even has a 85 Chevy one ton service truck retrofitted with a 12V. Then there is my own experience, pulling a 30' gooseneck loaded with 1300lb haybales and a skid steer up a 6% grade at 70mph with a truck that has 156,000 miles on the odometer. Add all of this up, and I would say that dyno charts are pretty meaningless. And why would I choose anything but a Cummins.:dunno:

5. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

waytogo too bad we can't built a pick up like you can a semi.
    Cummin8s, Allison or Spicer and a dual speed rear end ; I am thinking 2.43 for non-towing and 3.73 or 4.1 for towing applications:doah: waytogo :popcorn:

6. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

Duramax!!!!!!!!

7. cummins4x4

cummins4x4 Well-Known Member

either a dmax or cummins, they both serve me well...the older 7.3 powerstrokes pull allright too - doubt that they'll reach 75mph on a 7% grade tho.

8. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

d-max or 5.9 cummins with some goodies on it!!!

9. beretzs

beretzs Active Member

I am Cummins guy. I like both the others, Father has always had Fords, Uncle Chevy's. All three of the them pull the loads well in stock trim nowadays. I do like the way my truck almost never comes out of OD. I can pull my toyhauler up I77 without too much trouble, keeping 65MPH the whole trip, as long as nobody slows me down. If they do, all I do is downshift and keep pulling with all the steam I need. Scotty

10. PC HOTROD

PC HOTROD Member

I can promise you this JNelson... you will surely be on your 10th transmission by 600,000 miles - that's a fact!!! The old Dodge tranmissions can't do the Cummins justice.... the Cummins engine is certainly great but for an overall package you can't beat the Duramax / Allison combination.