What happend to Ford Diesels?

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by CB, Oct 7, 2006.

1. CB

CB Well-Known Member

Media:
    Okay first off, this is not a brand war thread.
    What is the deal with the 6.0L Powerstroke? Ford is already scrapping it for a 6.4L. It seams that Ford has had nothing but problems with the 6.0L or at least I have heard a bunch of negative comments about it. Will the 6.4 be any different? How do you go from a good engine like the 7.3L to where they are now. Are they not testing these engines or is it just time to have someone else build their engines like Dodge and Chevy? I personally preferr Fords, especially the body style of the F-250. I like how Ford has a different body style for its bigger trucks than the half tons. Chevy and Dodge should do that as well IMO.

2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    The 7.3L was a great motor. I was durable and made plenty of power when asked to. When the 6.0L came out it was rushed out. In fact, I have a friend with the first 6.0L in California. It had a sticker on the transmission that said if there were any problems with it to remove it and send it back to the manufaturer. Basically, the general public beta tested them and it never really got the proper engineering it needed until the last year or so. There were just too many issues.
    I feel this is always going to be a problem for Ford. See, the Cummins has proven itself. Even the new 6.7L has been inservice in Europe for some time now. Everyone gave the new CR motors a bad rap when they first came out until they found out that No, its not a new motor, its been used in busses in Europe for 4 years. Same with the Dmax, its design has been in use in Europe for quite some time. Until Ford finds a powerplant that can pull more than one duty I feel that it will be a failng enterprise on several levels.
    See, Dodge uses a motor that is readily available. Heck, one of my customers has the 4 cyl version in his back hoe, and another has a 12V 6 cyl in his trailer mounted Vacuume. The 5.9 is available for use in tractors, generators, stationary equipment, towed equipment, meduim duty trucks (originally designed for medium duty trucks), ect. You will find them inthe strangest places, so the motor has been proven time and time again is a variety of environments and uses. Now enter the motor designed and built in house for a single purpose. I wonder why it fails. . . . . . .

3. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    BTW - I grew up a FOrd guy and still love their trucks. Just wish they could find a decent engine!

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

the 6.0 is the reason I didnt get a diesel to much headache

5. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    wow
    you guys are tough
    actually the 7.3 was at its designed life of exspanion for emissions.
    then the epa stepped in and they needed to re group for emissions
    the bigger displacement couldnt meet the lower soot and particulate
    so the 6.0 was rushed in, new head design and better burn
    the 6.4 is larger BORED out new heads
    to accomadate the loss of HP from the new epa stuff for particulate filters.

they should have bit the bullet and went straight to the 6.4 and kept the 7.3 a few more years and paid the fines
    i guess waranty claims were cheaper than the fines.

see all of the engine guys figured the epa rules wouldnt pass thru congress because they were so tough, so everyone sat on thier ass for 4 years then BAM guess what, only the otr engine folks had a plan. light duty basicaly figured it wouldnt happen.
    it hit us hard to in the aircraft manufacture arena, hex chrome, etc....
    and the 6.4 with twins is also to move tons more CLEAN air to help the emissions particulate filters and secondary burners.

whats happening now is the air leaving the tail pipe is cleaner than what goes in the air filter.
    and soon in ca the engines wil lnot pass emissions beause the air coming in is to dirty...... figure that out...

and if we keep em long enough i would say we will see the 6.4 enlarged to a 7.0 and possibly a 7.3 or 8.0 just to move enough AIR. with three turbos and a 4th one just to pump air into the exhaust burners

6. rocknbronco

yeah but would four turbos really be that efficent?

7. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I just hope they get it right. I don't plan on jumping to a new brand anytime soon.

8. rocknbronco

I dont want to switch either

9. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

all the emmisions crap is just killing them. they definately rushed the 6.0 to market, and it had the potential to be a damn good engine, but they rushed it and it failed. oops! o well theyve been developing the 6.4 for almost two years now. i think they will get it right this time! lets hope. i think this 6.4 will give the others a run for their money, and it will just get better. according to ford the 6.0 was maxed out at 325hp/570tq. but the 6.4 has the potential for almost 400hp/800tq. so we will get to see tons of power out of this one! and their plannin on a 6spd auto in the coming months or years. that would be perfect.

10. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Id rather have a dodge or gm, they've already got a 6 spd auto!rotfl

11. Bourdon1350

yeh but the dodge is worthless, i know i own one. and i just dont like the duramax, which ive stressed before. so whats left? a damn good lookin ford complete with a 6.4 powerstroke! waytogo

12. Steve Heywood

Steve Heywood Member

My 05 6.0 has been completely reliable. Doesn't burn any oil, gets good mileage, and has much better power than either of the 7.3s (an 01 & 02) that I used to own. Ford finially got it right by 05 and while I like the new 08 and the 6.4 looks promising, I'm gonna keep my 05 for a LONG TIME!

13. SubYuman

SubYuman Member

WHat's wrong with the 6.0?

Had one for a year now, 30k+ miles, had a problem with the speedo, that's it. I work with 5 other guys with 6.0's, 03-07, nothing more intense than EGR sooting or a blown head gasket (with Propane and an SCT to blame for that).
    6.4 was added to make more power, other turbo for the whiners that don't like turbo lag. Rode in an 07 D-Max, it had lag....uncle has an 04 Dodge, same thing....WTF? If you want to rag on changes....why so many different D-Max engines in the past 6 years? Why did the Cummins get bigger too?
    And let's not forget where my Ford was made? I have a 1 as the first number in my VIN, not s Mexican 3? My diesel engine is made by IHC, not Isuzu. My trans wasn't made by Asian... I mean Aisin.
    CHange for innovation is good, keeping up with the Jones is stupid. When will we see variable displacement engines, not just bigger ones? When will usable turbo changes be made, not just another turbo slapped on?
    No need to step off a soapbox, I'm 7 feet tall and my opinion is ALWAYS heard. Thanks for listening.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  14. srnath

srnath New Member

Just had my f350 in the shop again. The mechanic said they dumped the 7.3 because it couldn't meet emissions & the 6.4 has actually been around for about three years in the fleet trucks with a lot less hassles than the 6.0. I have been a ford truck fan since I started driving (30 years,..damn I'm gettin old) & althought I have had to have the motor replaced (at 72k)and just had another 5k of warranty work done I can't complain. They give me a loaner and take care of it and the truck has done everything I have asked of it so far. I have had chevy and dodge gassers and they have been good trucks, but I always go back to fords. I'm a big fan od the 78-79 broncos. (if I hit the lotto I'll put a 6.0 in a 79 bronco)

15. Bourdon1350

the engines are changing cuz emmisions!!! thats why the 6.4's only goin to be here for 2 or 3 model years. and there will be a new d max comin also. its all cuz of the stupid government.