What should gauges read

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by StrokerDon78, Jul 18, 2009.

1. StrokerDon78

StrokerDon78 Active Member

Media:
    I have a 96 F350 with 3 inch down pipe, 4 inch exhaust all the way back, and run the Edge evolution also have installed an intercooler off of a 99. I have the tranny, pyro and boost gauges. What is a high temp for the tranny and pyro, what should I try to keep in under.
    Thanks

2. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

You need to keep your EGT below 1200 because you run the risk of burning a hole in the pistions. I dont know which transmission you have my Dad has a 99 with the ZF5 manual and he does not have a transmission temp gauge just EGT and Boost. 250 degrees is about all your oil can take. My Dad has had an intercooler installed and also bought a Smarty but dont know anymore which level his his running for a program because he kept changing it. But his boost never gets above 12 psi and he sees that rarly. He has a slide in camper that he leaves on the truck all the time and his trucks EGTs seem to get hot faster than mine does but my turbo provides a lot more boost than his does.

3. StrokerDon78

StrokerDon78 Active Member

Media:
    Thanks, I also Have the man transmission. I was hauling my 34 foot fifth wheel recently and the trans temp got up to 250 so I pulled over to let it cool. I do not have a tranny cooler installed, guess that is my next thing to do.

4. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

When I had a 90 F250 with the 7.3 IDI it also had the ZF5 transmission and I found that it got hot enough to burn the oil and I was considering installing an oil cooler and even asked a Ford Mechanic if he had seen any one do it and he said he has seen one truck with and external oil cooler. They use ATF and it does not take long to burn it, I rairly pulled a trail with mine but hauled my tools from Job to Job as a turbine millwight. One time I picked up a rub and pulled over and got out and felt the transmission and it was almost to hot to touch. I limped it down the road and stopping in towns along the way looking for a place to change the oil on a sunday and when I found on I could smell the bunt oil outside. I switched to synthetic after that and never checked it again until I traded it in.
    I found out that the rub was the u-joints in the rear drive shaft.

5. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am not too sure about the tranny temp, but I know that for the Pyrometer you want to keep it under 1200 or so for long periods. 1300 is ok in a quick burst (like a race or something) but if you are towing up a grade i would keep it under 1200 or so just to be safe.