What type of gooseneck hitch?

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Justice

Justice Well-Known Member

Media:
    i have the resse system in my truck. not my first choice but i wanted one and wanted it that day. im a fan of the B&W turnouver ball. and they offer a 5th wheel companian that drops in where the goose ball pulls out of. i cant complain about the resse rail system though. i have the goose adaptor and 5th wheel plate for it and it works well but you always have the rails in the bed.

2. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I have the B&W Turnover ball. It's the third truck I install it in and have always loved it. Had it in my 05 2500hd and my 2001 f350srw and now the 2006 dually. Have no complaints and loved the finished product.

3. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I myself would like to have the B&W turn over myself

4. keebler

keebler Active Member

Being new here and not wanting to step on toes. I've been using the B&W turnover for quite a while now. LOVE IT! Just some advice, drop the spera and call a buddy (to help balance the parts while you start a few bolts their really not that heavy ). Good Luck.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    wow, this one is a bit old... i never saw it..

i didnt install the hitch. i wouldnt have been able to as i was in Iraq at the time. a towing accessory shop did it all. they have Ins for this, and i was more than happy to pay to have it done. last time i went through oregon, i drove over to the shop and had them Re Torque everything. they were VERY happy i asked them to do this and did it no cost. its the CYA deal...

as for the class b and class 8 trucks having been welded straight to the frame, yes i see it a lot. welding to the top of my frame isnt an option along with most frames out there anymore.

6. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

See, that right there is what you are supposed to do. Being aware and being responsible is what it is all about.

7. Bevis

Bevis Member

Media:
    I'm wanting to drop a B&W Turnover ball in my F350.

8. BigTomBBQ

BigTomBBQ Member

I will also reccomend the B&W turnover ball. I have used one for 3 yrs. with no problems. These hitches are vehicle specific, most will bolt on/in place without any additional drilling.

They also have a sturdy 5th wheel hitch that uses the same gooseneck sub assembly for a very clean installation and removal.

Tom

9. rocknbronco

So pretty much you get a 5TH and a Goose hitch in one combo.

10. BigTomBBQ

BigTomBBQ Member

Yes that's the way it works out. The 5th wheel hitch plugs into the same spot that the goose neck ball would, there is then a clamp screw that holds tension on the quick release rod that would hold the regular ball in place, securing the whole thing to the truck frame and snug to the bed.

The downside is the cost. The whole package probably would cost near $1000 if installed by a dealer. :eek:

11. Justice

Media:
    The b&w is around $1200 installed, around here anyway. The reese that I have with the 5th and goose I have $1350 invested and i got a fabed goose ball, the reese goose is $500 which would have put me at $1600 for the reese system. I would sugest the B&W to anyone that was going to put either in thier truck. The priice is still on cue with the other makers and it is a nicer unit than the reese just cause you have a compleetly flat bed surface when either uint is not in use.

12. rocknbronco

I was quoted $650.00 installed for the turn down ball I might have to get one more quote for the whole deal.

13. Justice

Media:
    The 5th part there reallly is no "install" to just a bit of assembly. It just slides in where the goose ball goes. but I have seen it priced from $600 to $800 depends on you distributer and how much he wants to put in his pocket.

14. rocknbronco

Hmmmm well I hope he wouldnt want much but you never know being your Fire Chief but I do understand the cost of being in business.

15. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    if anythig the B&W turnover ball is the way to go i can get one installed for as low as 400 bucks and thats what im putting in hands down.

16. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

I've put in 4 now between mine and friends, 2 self installs and 2 professional. One professional used a 4.25-4.5 inch hole saw (4" is spec) and just filled it in with black goo, looked like crap. both of my installs were measured 10 times and drilled once, took a lot of muscle to get it to slip in but looks great. Took only a couple hours, a big drill bit, and 2 guys for the second half the install, fairly easy. I wouldn't put anything else in. I also have the fifth wheel companion and pulled a 15000lbs 38ft fifthwheel with it. I love the combo, clean bed in 5 minutes. I think I got it for around $250-300 for the gooseneck and $600-650 for the companion.

17. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

They make kits that convert a 5th to a gooseneck on the trailer side. It bolts on to the kingpin (or can be welded) and allows you to use a normal bed mount goose set up ball. I found one for my dad since he refused to have rails in the bed and wanted a bigger trailer.

18. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

turnover is the way to go, very clean looking when installed

19. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

companion?

az-k5

This "companion" that you speak of, what is it? :confused:

20. BigTomBBQ

BigTomBBQ Member

The companion is the 5th wheel hitch assembly that connects to the already installed B&W sub frame.