What will make the cheapest trail rig to build??

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by Brisk, Feb 7, 2006.

1. thezentree

thezentree Member

I used to have an XJ trail rig. A 1990 on 33" MT/Rs. I sold it the day after I twisted the B-pillar by hand. Unibodies suck.

I say go with a Yota. That's probably gonna be my next trail rig, after I get the whole DD thing figured out.

2. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks Well-Known Member

Another vote for building a K5. There are tons(no pun intended) of ways to build a K5 WAY cheaper than a Heep or Toyota. If at all possible, you could find a clapped out K30 that is roughly around the same year as the K5 you buy and take all the good parts off of it to put on the K5. For the suspension, you could do the 52" spring swap up front and the homebrew shackle flip in the rear to get the lift that you'd need. Trim/hack the fenders as needed to gain the rest of the tire clearance. For tires, you'll want to go with a set in the 38" to 42" range. If you are good with a welder, you can fabricate the body armor and rollcage yourself to save on labor costs. If you're going to be doing alot of crawling with the rig, put a manual transmission in it like a SM465 with a NP205 transfercase. Twinstick the 205. Also, you could go shopping at swap meets for parts that you'll need for the rig. Another option is to use the barter/trade system. That has helped me ALOT when building project rigs on a budget.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  3. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

I beg to differ, I have an XJ on full widths and 37s, 5.13 gears spooled.. They are very good wheelers, very capable and cheap.. If built RIGHT they will walk circles around other vehical.. Yes the Unibody is an issue but if strengthend they are very stought.. Ive whelled mine everywhere in the east and midwest and havent had an issue with the unibody, Heck I even DROVE IT (not towed) it to texas twice already and never had issues

Here are a a few pics of mine and friends

heres a video from the begining of March at the Badlands in Attica Indiana, that I attended and drove the XJ there pulling a trailer with my Quad all the way from Virginia.. http://myxj.net/videos/WinterfestVid.wmv

[/img]http://www.dso4x4.com/forum/files/2956849100058258611uaicyv_ph_555.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

5. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

haxja winterfest.
    winterfest in march is SO fake! go wheeling in december or january, then you can call it winterfest.
    pick an XJ and folllow me into the raviny woods, it will not live long, the dents pile up, and the body colapses after the first 5 rolls.
    all the pics you have of the XJ's climbing they only have there front tires up? whats so hard about that? i can get my front tires up of my little zuki on those same EXACT hills...........
    except mine atleast look like more thrilling pictures and yes, i am hanging 1 tire 4+ feet in the air, and the other one 1-2'
    [​IMG]

6. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

Those were just the only pics that I have on my computer.. Im not trying to say that nothing is good offroad, its all about the driver and how you build your stuff, and your own personal preferance, I just enjoy wheeling my Jeeps and building them up.. BTW I drove my Jeep all the way from Virginia to enjoy the event.. Ive wheeled Paragon, Tellico, Crozet, Moab, Badlands, Uhairry (sp?) and several other places, Ive driven the jeep there and back until now, since Ive just bought the Truck and trailer..

Ive built mine very well, sleeving the unibody, swapped axles and have modified the electrical and components, Im in the progress in building the Exocage and internal cockpit cage..

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  7. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I think the XJs look pretty cool. Not my cup-o-tea, and no unibody would ever last long out here in the AZ trails (we go down worse that that just to GET TO the trails we run! - <Tim Allen voice> argh - Arugh -ARGH!!! rotfl ) But seriously, some of those rigs do look pretty cool. And heck, I'm just a web wheeler these days, so who am I to talk...

8. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

Thats why you reinforce the unibody by plating it with angle iron or C channel

9. BadDog

Media:
    Yeah, I know, I've seen it attempted out here with XJs and others (including a Grand). They will still pop spot welds and the body starts coming apart unless they get a completely rigid, triangulated exo that pierces the body AND fully supports the suspension points as well as drive train. I’m describing the only one I've seen that I know was holding up on the AZ “hard core” trails as of about 1.5 years ago when last I saw it. I’ve seen/talked to others who report repeatedly having to band-aid over time, particularly around the suspension mounts and such. And I do recall several giving up on what had essentially become a pile of scrap, so they took all the parts they added, and put it in a buggy or other framed vehicle.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen some very cool little XJs. Especially when they are setting there all nice and comfy in a fairly capable and yet civilized AC vehicle while I freeze/burn and suck down dust. But there is just a limit beyond which they simply do not do very well. And if they do, it’s like all the other “hard core jeeps” out there. They have some Jeep sheet metal here and there (sometimes only a hood and they still call it a Jeep!) with full size GM drive trains and tube buggy chassis underneath. I can say quite confidently that there is no way an XJ would go into places and take the pounding my rig has absorbed with the very modest (comparatively) level of investment and change I have made…

So, IMO, they are fine up to a moderately severe level of wheeling. But beyond that, it's like trying to go drag racing in a Pinto. You can do it if you really want to, but your either going to rebuild it into something COMPLETELY different that only vaguely resembles a Pinto, or you are going to suffer with the consequences. JMO...

10. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

It also depends on how and who built it, Someone can have everything but if they half ass things then it will fall apart.. Ive seen things go both ways on many different types of vehicals and depending on the regin you wheel, it requires different wheel bases and setups...

11. BadDog

Media:
    Agreed on all points.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    looks like you already narrowed it down to a yota. an old bronco would fit in as well, but they are never cheap.