Who has the best manual tranny?

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by CK5, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you going to give us your source or should we just take your word as the gospel?:rolleyes:

2. Tim

Tim Guest

Simply look at the tailgate of any new Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton pickup if there is any question. Clearly, in large, chrome letters, the words "Heavy Duty" will appear.

3. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    You're trying to be funny right? You don't honestly beleive that it should be left to marketing guys to define what a heavy duty truck is do you? Unbeleivable...rotfl Because they wouldn't put it on the truck if it weren't true, right?rotfl rotfl

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Evan summed it up for me. rotfl

It says "super duty" on the Ford tail gates....does that mean there is a class of trucks out there that are defined as the "superduty class"? Would that be a class V truck? rotfl

5. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    HAHA, yeah Super is better than Heavy so the Fords must be even heavier duty than the Dodges!rotfl

6. TARussell

TARussell Well-Known Member

I searched loooong and hard before I ordered my truck back in 2001 and the manual tranny offerings were a major reason for my choice of truck .
    I chose the cast iron NVG-5600 over the ZF-6spd's offered by Ford & GM because of New Venture/Process , or what ever they are called today, reputation as a gear box builder .
    I liked the fact that the main case was made of iron instead of aluminium ( not that I think the other is weaker - I just liked it ) and the spacing between the mainshaft and the counter shaft was IMPRESSIVE ! I believe that the spacing and gear size are a major factor in tranny strength and the 5600 had it all for Me.
    And the 1-3/8" input shaft didn't hurt my choice making either ........

In my opinion the 5600 is to a 4500 as a 5spd Allison is to a 4L80E.
    Tom

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Bah! I've got coke coming out my nose.rotfl

8. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    Um, drugs are bad, Mmkay?rotfl

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Coka Colarotfl

10. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

If we're speaking of NEW 05 trucks, I'll say Ford as well, since the GM sux, and the new G56 from dodge isn't proven yet.. But.. If we aren't talking new, Id say the NV5600 in my 04.5 CTD is the best :) :doah:

11. 75-K5

75-K5 Well-Known Member

All '05 GM manuals aren't bad. Mine has the venerable nv4500 :). Although I've heard that is now discontinued and the Tremec TR-3450 will be taking its place.

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    After hearing about the new G-56 6 spd in the new Dodges I change my vote to the NV5600. That goes for the whole drivetrain for that matter. The cummins backed NV5600 feeding a D60 and D80 is yet to be topped in an SRW 3/4 ton!

13. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

Well, my truck must come in a close second.. its got the CTD, NV5600, AM 9.25 front, and 11.5 rear.. not a dana 60 and 80.. although they are supposedly just as big in the components area...
    Scott

14. Ken Stewart

Ken Stewart Member

Media:
    Its sure not Dodge 6 speed manuel

That what In my 2004 two wheel drive and Its takes spells on down shifting. I double shift It and It helps. My 1999 5 speed shifted a lot better.I went to the Chrysler about this and they said they knew about this but Chrysler has no answers for this. They say It will were IN.In others words they don't care as yet.My 33 Ford shift better then my Dodge.

Attached Files:

15. gsbrockman

gsbrockman Member

Media:
    The New Venture Gear 5600 hands down.
    Yep, there a tad tough to shift, but there's a lot of heavy duty gearing you're rowing about within that transmission, too. The cast-iron case and superb gearset make it tops in my eyes.

The G56, although unproven, has lots to be desired....primarily due to the dual mass flywheel design and lack of availability with a 4.10 axle ratio. Only time will tell if the G56 will be a good transmission or not.....there's already one clutch manufacturer (South Bend, I think) that's working on a standard clutch & flywheel for the G56's.

Greg

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    well.. as like most of the people posting to the origonal question...

i would have to say we all agree that the chevy manual tranny is NOT a contender. it was also one large reason i didnt even consider a chevy diesel. no manual, no truck. i looked at the ford, but nevr drve one or got any info on it as the fact i DID NOT want a 6.0.... SOOO.. i looked into the cummins and with the NV5600... BINGO!! so i bought one. now with the talk about no 4.10's with the G56.... umm.. its the same ratios and shift points with a G56 and 3.73's and my NV5600 and 4.10. where they made the mistake was not offering a 3.42 or something of the like. do i think it is a good tranny? like all have said sofar i dont know. it COULD be better than the NV5600... time will tell.
    Grant

17. cummins_superduty

cummins_superduty Member

We arrived at a different answer to this question here:

http://www.cummins-conversion.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=122

I'm running a ZF6 behind the 325/600 in my '99 SD. It is a very sweet combo. I prefer the ZF6 to the NV5600 because it shifts nicer and the Ford ZF6s have a built in oil pump and transmission cooler, just like the big rigs.

My ZF6 downshifts without double clutching just fine. Fairly quick too. I usually double clutch it out of habit.

The ZF6 is a silky smooth shifting transmission. With the Cummins it is relatively easy to ge the RPMs right to shift without the clutch, even though that is probably hard on the synchros.

I hate the OD ratio on the G56. 0.8 instead of 0.73/0.72. Probably OK for towing, but not good for running empty at 70 MPH.

If DC comes out with a 6.7L ISB with 700 ftlbs of torque, will they also upgrade the transmission to a 7 speed ? That would be sweet.

18. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

7 speed would be sweet but i dout it will happen

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    larger, and have not had any problems that i have heard.

my 04.5 has check engine light problems due to wire problems thanks to DC's crappy selection of a sub contractor to put the wire harness together.

i vote, in order of newness or not as follows

NV5600
    NV4500
    G-56
    None other... ok, im joking. the ZF isnt bad.... but i dont like the way it shifts
    Grant

20. CoastalDav

CoastalDav Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    NV5600 without a doubt. I have 154K on it now and its just a good as it was at 10k. Don't like mush boxes for towing like I don't hard boxes for racing.

Still have the original clutch in it. I found some wood!

Dave