Who here has ATV's??

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by stallion85, Nov 14, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I bought a 2004 Polaris 700 Sportsman last month. It has a Warn 3K winch, EFI, GY Run Flats, Hand and throttle warmers, front bumper and custom fuel can holder on the back:pimp:

I haven't rode it since I left Utah after the Elk hunt. It had an exhaust leak so when we got back to my Dads house i dropped it off at the dealer.

I am picking it up this weekend in Cedar City, Utah and will be going on a trail ride with my Dad and Brothers.

So who else is into ATV's?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm into ATV's. I use mine for work from May to September. I have a 2004 Polaris Scrambler 500HO 4x4 and during those months I am irrigating and spend a couple hours every morning pounding through the trails around the ranches from one water box to the next.

We also have a 700 sportsman, ours is an '02 carb model. The thing is a tank, and will pull anything. That sucker will push small hay bails around. My dad has an '05 Limited Edition Grizzly 660 and we have a '99 Polaris Xplorer 400 2 stroke 4x4 that I use as my sprayer quad and it's the extra machine for guest riders.

3. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    I have ATV's, but the opposite end of the spectrum as you guys - sport quads.

[​IMG]

4. RonJ

RonJ Well-Known Member

I just bought a little 110cc for my son. Does that count? Yes, I put my 230lb. butt on it and ride it around too! :pimp:

5. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I would like to get a Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4......:rolleyes: someday

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I like my dad's Grizz but I'd take a 700EFI Sportsman over it any day. It rides just as well, sounds way better with the twin (the Grizz has a funky unique sound) and I think the Polaris drivetrain is stouter.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I ride my Scrambler for recreation sometimes, it's somewhere between a utility and Sport model.:)

8. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a 2004 honda rancher 350s and 2001 foreman 450es. I run the rancher 7 days a week on the farm getting up cows and feeding calves. The foreman is more of a trail/mud rider for me, but is used alot on the farm too.

9. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Really?? i think you are just brand biased:stir: rotfl J/K I actually have no idea what is good or not. I have a friend w/ a couple of Grizzlys and he likes them alot. rides them on trails, sand , moab, and anything in between. I havent ridden one yet. All I know is I want a big azz engine, 4wheel independant susp, 4x4 w/lockers, winch, Fuel injection, and auto trans. I am sure there are alot of ATVs out there like that but I dont know what. I will deffinatly do more research before I buy though. (it probably will be at least a year)

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I will say I'm biased towards Polaris since I ride their sleds and quads but I have 1st hand experience with the grizzly vs. the SP700 Polaris in a bunch of conditions. Our '02 700 SP is dead even with my dad's '05 Grizzly in a drag race. The newer EFI 700's are supposed to have just a tad more pep than the older carbed versions like ours. The Polaris is an all around tougher quad, it's built for hard work and it's tough as a tank. It's plain bigger than the Grizz, bigger stance and bigger tires. The 700 is twin and has a great sound besides the fact that it makes a ton of torque with a nice power curve. THe Grizz has a goofy sound from it's single coffee can piston but I will say it's snappy. It's 5 valves are a good design.

I will say my dad's Grizz will out handle the Sportsman. It's about 100lbs lighter, the Grizz is impressive on the scale, it's only 30lbs heavier than my 4x4 Scrambler sport quad. It does handle quick in tight space, a little better than the Sportsman. What I really like is the SP800, it's an animal.

Both are great quads, the SP700 is definantly tougher and will survive under hard use plowing feed on a dairy or snow during the winter vs. the ligher duty Grizzly but I will say the Grizz is a little better for Recreation riding. For what I do with our quads, the SP700 fits the bill better than the Grizzly. Regardless, I like my Scrambler the best. It is a 4x4 sport quad and is faster than both, automatic tranny, and a rear rack. I can do all of my summer work with it without the worry of getting stuck but can pull the rack off the back and hang with buddies on their Predators, YFZ's, and Raptors on everything but the big air jumps.

11. stallion85

Media:
    Sounds like you could use a 700 Sportsman then:pimp: Mine has all those goodies:D

12. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Thats good info to know. i will definatly look at the polaris when i decide to buy. I think it will be a while though. My Fiancee and I want to buy a house when we get married so that will be the first priority. Thanks for the input Bobby!!waytogo

13. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    No prob Brent. One thing that I have learned about personall power sports like these is that some brands just fit better than other for some people. My body "fits" better on Polaris sleds better than the Cats, and it's opposite for my dad. It all depends on the person with this stuff.

14. 05' CO King Ranch

05' CO King Ranch Well-Known Member

Media:
    :cool: I too am into Atving!!! I have 2 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI'S. All I can say is WHOA BABY!!!! I upgraded them from a 2000, and a 2001 H.O. 500 Sportsman. We enjoy riding all over when we can. I would recomend an 800 EFI to anyone!!!

15. 66cummins

66cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yamaha Rhino!!The only way to go!

16. stallion85

Media:
    My Dad is test riding an 800 this weekend when we go on our trail ride. He has an 03 Sportsman 700 (Carb'd) and when he found out I had EFI he has to out do me now:D

I would like to see it in action to see if maybe one is in my future. That way the wifey can have mine and I can get the new one:rolleyes:

17. tuff84blaze

tuff84blaze Member

Media:
    Does it count if it's my brothers quad but I ride it all the time? He Has an 05 Artic Cat 500 with 27" itp tires. With the Artic cats massive suspension travel and ground clearnce he was able to soften the suspension up all the way and it rides like a caddy.

18. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd like to put my 800cc 2 stoke twin sled motor into my Scrambler. Would be hell on wheels.:pimp:

19. 05' CO King Ranch

05' CO King Ranch Well-Known Member

Media:
    1 Ton Hauler W/ Toys

Your dad will fully enjoy the EFI. I can also see you getting excited and very interested in one as well. Buy the 800 if your funding allows and if your interested in a big Bore ATV.

20. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks Well-Known Member

I'm into ATVing as well but I don't have an ATV currently. I'm planning on getting a Kawasaki KFX700(formerly known as the Vforce)sport quad after I move in April. I test rode one recently, and I'd have to say that its a blast to ride.